San Diego Adoption & Foster Care Resources
Whether you are interested in adoption as an expectant mother or a prospective adoptive parent in San Diego, there are many resources available to you in your area. Read on to learn more about local adoption and foster care agencies, home study professionals and other San Diego adoption and foster care services. To learn more about adoption laws, processes and qualifications throughout the state, visit our California adoption page.
San Diego Adoption Agencies and Adoption ProfessionalsThroughout the adoption process, your adoption professional will provide the services and support you need. There are many adoption professionals to choose from, including national and local adoption agencies and adoption attorneys. For some adoptive and birth parents, it is most convenient to work with a local adoption agency. Here are some of the local and regional agencies serving the San Diego area:
San Diego Foster Care ResourcesFoster parent qualifications are determined by the state. To become a foster parent in California, you must complete a home study and meet with a licensing worker to ensure that you are fully prepared to foster a child. If you need more information or if you are ready to begin the foster care or foster-to-adopt process in San Diego, contact one of the following local agencies: California Department of Social Services.
Home Study Providers in San DiegoThe home study is an important part of the process to become a foster or adoptive parent in San Diego. In California, the home study evaluates prospective parents and ensures they are ready to adopt based on criminal records checks, financial information, personal interviews, and more. For a detailed overview of what to expect during the home study process, visit our California adoption information page. Your home study must be conducted by a legally qualified professional in California. To begin the home study process, contact a provider in your area: Near San Diego:
- AAC – Alpha Adoption Centers 877-955-2122 Alpha Adoption Centers is a nonprofit adoption agency licensed by the state of California to provide domestic home studies and post-placement services for San Diego county residents.
- Nightlight Christian Adoptions 714-693-5437 Nightlight’s California office provides domestic, international and embryo adoption home study services for Southern California residents in San Diego County.
- Lilliput Children’s Services 800-325-5359 Lilliput is licensed to do adoption home studies for private domestic adoptions.
Hospitals in San DiegoOne of the final steps in the adoption process is the hospital stay and arrival of the baby. If you are an expectant mother making an adoption plan, you will have control over your hospital plan, including who is in the delivery room with you, how much interaction you will have with your baby, and more. Your adoption professional can coordinate with your delivery hospital to ensure a smooth labor and delivery process. As you create your hospital plan, you may be able to work with one of the following San Diego hospitals:
- Scripps Mercy Hospital San Diego 4077 5th Street San Diego, CA 92103 619-294-8111
- Sharp Mary Birch Hospital for Women & Newborns 3003 Health Center Drive San Diego, CA 92123 858-939-3400
- Paradise Valley Hospital 2400 East Fourth Street National City, CA 91950 619-470-4321
- Scripps Memorial Hospital La Jolla 9888 Genesee Avenue La Jolla, CA 92037 858-626-4123
- Scripps Mercy Hospital Chula Vista 435 H Street Chula Vista, CA 91910 619-691-7000
- Scripps Memorial Hospital Encinitas 354 Santa Fe Drive Encinitas, CA 92024 760-633-6501