Dallas Adoption & Foster Care Resources
Whether you are interested in adopting a child or are considering placing your baby for adoption in the Dallas area, there are many local resources available to you. The following provides information about local adoption agencies, home study providers and other adoption and foster care services in and around Dallas, Texas. Additional resources for expectant mothers and adoptive parents throughout the state can be found on our Texas adoption information page.
Adoption Agencies and Adoption Professionals in DallasWhen you are ready to begin the adoption process, either as a prospective birth parent or an adoptive family, you will likely need to work with an adoption professional to receive the necessary services and support to complete the adoption. Some adoptive and birth parents prefer to work with a local or regional adoption agency. The following adoption agencies are based in Dallas and can ensure that you meet all Texas requirements as you move through the adoption process:
Become a Foster Parent in DallasIf you are interested in fostering a child in or near Dallas, Texas, you will need to meet all state requirements for foster parents and complete the home study process. The requirements to become a foster parent in Texas include:
- Be at least 21 years of age
- Complete an application
- Complete the home study and background checks
- Provide references
- Attend training
Completing the Home Study in DallasThe home study is a major component of every adoption and foster placement, and home study requirements are determined by state statutes. In Texas, every home study consists of personal interviews with the adoptive parents, evaluation of the adoptive family’s home, criminal history checks, and more. For more information about what to expect during the home study process, visit our Texas adoption information page. When you are ready to begin the home study process, contact any of these legally qualified home study providers in your area: Near Dallas:
- American Adoptions of Texas 1-800-ADOPTION American Adoptions of Texas provides home study and post-placement supervision services throughout the state.
- Adoption Answers, Inc. 817-729-4378 Adoption Answers, Inc. provides domestic and international home studies for adoptive parents in the state of Texas.
- Legacy Adoption Services 817-899-5000 Legacy Adoption Services is a full-service licensed child-placing agency that provides domestic home studies for adoptive parents in Texas.
- Children’s Connections, Inc. 800-456-4862 Children’s Connections, Inc. is a nonprofit organization preparing qualified home studies and reports for all types of adoptions throughout Texas.
- S.A.F.E. Project 832-244-7428 S.A.F.E. Project (Supportive Assistance for Family Enhancement Project, LLC) has offices in Houston and Austin with a network of more than 125 professionals providing home assessment services.
- Adoption Choices of Texas 855-304-4673 Adoption Choices of Texas is a full-service licensed Texas agency with expertise in domestic and international home studies.
- Texas Adoption Home Studies 800-245-2421 Texas Adoption Home Studies has been providing adoption home studies for more than 15 years, assisting hundreds of families in completing domestic, embryo, stepparent, second parent and relative adoptions throughout Texas.
Hospitals in DallasIf you choose to place your baby for adoption, you will have control over your hospital stay. You will create a hospital plan, which includes your preferences for who is in the delivery room with you, how much you will interact with your baby and the adoptive family, and more. The delivery hospital will be aware of your hospital plan ahead of time to ensure a smooth labor and delivery process. When you are ready to make your hospital plan, here are some local Dallas hospitals that you may be able to work with:
- Parkland Hospital 5200 Harry Hines Blvd. Dallas, TX 75235 214-590-8000
- Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital 612 E. Lamar Boulevard Arlington, TX 76011 1-877-THR-WELL
- Baylor Health 3500 Gaston Ave. Dallas, TX 75246 1-800-4BAYLOR
- Methodist Dallas Medical Center 1441 N. Beckley Avenue Dallas, TX 75203 214-947-8181
- Dallas Medical Center 7 Medical Parkway Dallas, TX 75234 972-888-7000
Adoption Laws and QualificationsMany hopeful parents and pregnant women considering adoption have questions about Dallas adoption laws, qualifications and processes. Adoption law is determined by the state and is the same in Dallas as it is in Austin, Houston, or anywhere else in Texas. For Birth Parents Many birth mothers and fathers have questions about the laws, rules and qualifications for placing a baby for adoption in Dallas. Information about adoption consent, relinquishment, Texas’ paternity registry and more is available here. For Adoptive Families In general, any adult may be eligible to adopt in Texas, as long as they meet state home study requirements. Texas also has state laws in place that determine the adoption expenses that can be paid by adoptive families, the requirements for finalizing an international adoption, the use of advertising and facilitators, and more. An outline of laws and regulations for adoptive families in Texas is available on our state adoption information page. County District Courts Your adoption will be finalized in family court. If you are finalizing your adoption in Dallas, Texas, find your local courthouse and other information about finalizing your adoption in your county:
- Collin County
- Dallas County
- Delta County
- Denton County
- Ellis County
- Hunt County
- Johnson County
- Kaufman County
- Parker County
- Rockwall County
- Tarrant County
- Wise County