Houston Adoption & Foster Care Resources
If you live in or near Houston and are considering adoption, either as a prospective adoptive parent or as a woman facing an unplanned pregnancy, you likely have questions about local adoption resources, laws and processes. Here, find information about Houston adoption agencies, home study providers and other local adoption and foster care services. For more information about adoption and foster care throughout Texas, visit our state adoption information page.
Adoption Agencies and Adoption Professionals in HoustonWhether you are a prospective birth parent or an adoptive family, the professional you choose to work with will guide you through the adoption process and ensure you receive the necessary services and support to complete your adoption in Houston. If you live in Houston and are interested in working with a local or regional adoption agency, the following adoption professionals can help you complete your adoption in accordance with all Texas requirements:
Foster Care Professionals in HoustonFoster care programs, requirements and processes are determined by the state. In Houston, foster parents must meet the following Texas requirements:
- Be at least 21 years old
- Attend training
- Complete an application
- Provide references
- Complete the home study and background checks
- Homes with Hope
- Arms Wide Adoption Services
- Safe Haven Community Services
- DePelchin Children’s Center
Home Study Providers in HoustonWhether you are interested in adopting an infant through a private domestic adoption agency or becoming a foster parent in Houston, you will need to complete a home study that meets Texas state requirements. The home study process in Texas includes personal interviews with the prospective parents, a home inspection, criminal history checks and more. The person or agency conducting the home study must be legally qualified to complete the home study process. Here are some trusted home study providers in your area: Near Houston:
- S.A.F.E. Project 832-244-7428 S.A.F.E. Project (Supportive Assistance for Family Enhancement Project, LLC) has offices in Houston and Austin with a network of more than 125 professionals providing home assessment services.
- Cindy Chilcote, LCSW 832-600-2585 As a licensed social worker, Cindy Chilcote has completed pre- and post-placement adoption home studies for more than 14 years for domestic adoptions, stepparent and second parent adoptions.
- Houston Home Study 832-724-2603 Amanda Starkey Hahn is a licensed master social worker in Texas with experience completing domestic and international adoption home studies, post-placement visits and updates.
- Adopt for the Love of a Child 281-507-7626 Adopt for the Love of a Child (AdoptTLC) is a private, nonprofit child-placing agency that provides domestic and international home study services.
- American Adoptions of Texas 1-800-ADOPTION American Adoptions of Texas provides home study and post-placement supervision services throughout the state.
- Adoption Answers, Inc. 817-729-4378 Adoption Answers, Inc. provides domestic and international home studies for adoptive parents in the state of Texas.
- Legacy Adoption Services 817-899-5000 Legacy Adoption Services is a full-service licensed child-placing agency that provides domestic home studies for adoptive parents in Texas.
- Children’s Connections, Inc. 800-456-4862 Children’s Connections, Inc. is a nonprofit organization preparing qualified home studies and reports for all types of adoptions throughout Texas.
- Adoption Choices of Texas 855-304-4673 Adoption Choices of Texas is a full-service licensed Texas agency with expertise in domestic and international home studies.
- Texas Adoption Home Studies 800-245-2421 Texas Adoption Home Studies has been providing adoption home studies for more than 15 years, assisting hundreds of families in completing domestic, embryo, stepparent, second parent and relative adoptions throughout Texas.
Hospitals in HoustonWhen it is finally time for the baby to arrive, it is up to the prospective birth mother to create a hospital plan for her stay. If you are making an adoption plan for your baby, you will have the opportunity to decide who will be in the delivery room with you, how much time you will spend with your baby and the adoptive family, and more. When you are ready to begin planning your hospital stay, your adoption agency will work with the delivery hospital to make them aware of your wishes. Here are some local hospitals in Houston that you may be able to work with:
- Houston Methodist 6565 Fannin Street Houston, TX 77030 713-790-3311
- Memorial Hermann Texas Medical Center 6411 Fannin Street Houston, TX 77030 713-704-4000
- Joseph Medical Center 1401 St. Joseph Parkway Houston, TX 77002 713-757-1000
- The Woman’s Hospital of Texas 7600 Fannin Houston, TX 77054 713-790-1234
- Ben Taub Hospital 1504 Taub Loop Houston, TX 77030 713-873-2000
- Lyndon B. Johnson Hospital 5656 Kelley Street Houston, TX 77026 713-566-5100
Laws and Qualifications to Adopt in HoustonAdoption is a legal process, and each state has its own legal requirements for adoptive and birth parents. Detailed information about adoption laws, qualifications and processes in Houston and throughout the rest of the state is available on our Texas adoption information page. Below is an overview of some of the regulations impacting adoptive parents and birth parents in Houston. Birth Parents: Every adoption involves the legal termination of the birth mother’s and father’s parental rights. If you are considering placing your baby for adoption in Houston, get the information you need about birth father rights, the Texas paternity registry, executing consent and more here. For Adoptive Parents To be eligible to adopt in Houston, you must meet certain qualifications and complete the Texas home study process. Throughout the adoption process, adoptive families must adhere to state laws regulating adoption expenses, adoption finalization, advertising and more. These laws are outlined here. County District Courts Houston adoptions must be finalized in family court. If you are adopting in Houston, Texas, find your local courthouse and other information about finalizing your adoption in your county’s district court directory:
- Harris County
- Fort Bend County
- Montgomery County
- Brazoria County
- Galveston County
- Waller County
- Chambers County
- Austin County