San Antonio Adoption & Foster Care Resources
As a prospective adoptive or birth parent in San Antonio, you likely have many questions about how to adopt or place a baby for adoption in Texas. Fortunately, there are plenty of local adoption professionals available to assist you through the adoption process and answer any questions you might have about adoption in San Antonio. Visit our How to Adopt in Texas page for additional resources and information about adoption in the Lone Star State.
San Antonio Adoption Professionals and Adoption AgenciesOne of the first steps in the adoption process, both for adoptive parents and birth mothers, is to choose an adoption professional to work with. Your adoption professional will provide the services and support you need to successfully complete your adoption. The following adoption agencies are based in the San Antonio area and have experience completing local adoptions:
How to Become a Foster Parent in San AntonioTo become a foster parent or to adopt from the foster care system in Texas, you will need to meet certain state qualifications, including:
- Be 21 years of age or older
- Complete an application
- Complete a home study, including background checks
- Provide references
- Attend training
Home Study Providers in San AntonioFor adoptive parents, the home study is one of the most important parts of every adoption and foster care process. The Texas home study includes the following elements:
- Personal interviews with the adoptive parents
- Home evaluation
- Criminal records checks
- And more
- Texas Home Study 830-832-0327 Cheryl Duke is a licensed professional counselor approved to conduct pre- and post-placement home studies as an independent evaluator.
- American Adoptions of Texas 1-800-ADOPTION American Adoptions of Texas provides home study and post-placement supervision services throughout the state.
- Adoption Answers, Inc. 817-729-4378 Adoption Answers, Inc. provides domestic and international home studies for adoptive parents in the state of Texas.
- Legacy Adoption Services 817-899-5000 Legacy Adoption Services is a full-service licensed child-placing agency that provides domestic home studies for adoptive parents in Texas.
- Children’s Connections, Inc. 800-456-4862 Children’s Connections, Inc. is a nonprofit organization preparing qualified home studies and reports for all types of adoptions throughout Texas.
- S.A.F.E. Project 832-244-7428 S.A.F.E. Project (Supportive Assistance for Family Enhancement Project, LLC) has offices in Houston and Austin with a network of more than 125 professionals providing home assessment services.
- Adoption Choices of Texas 855-304-4673 Adoption Choices of Texas is a full-service licensed Texas agency with expertise in domestic and international home studies.
- Texas Adoption Home Studies 800-245-2421 Texas Adoption Home Studies has been providing adoption home studies for more than 15 years, assisting hundreds of families in completing domestic, embryo, stepparent, second parent and relative adoptions throughout Texas.
Hospitals in San AntonioOne of the most emotional parts of the adoption process, both for birth parents and adoptive families, is the time spent in the hospital when the baby is born. It is entirely up to the birth mother to decide how she would like her hospital stay to go. If you are making an adoption plan for your baby, you will work with your adoption professional and your delivery hospital to ensure everything happens exactly as you want it to. When you are ready to begin creating your hospital plan, here are some San Antonio area hospitals that may be able to assist you:
- Methodist Hospital 7700 Floyd Curl Drive San Antonio, TX 78229 210-575-4000
- St. Luke’s Baptist Hospital 7930 Floyd Curl Drive San Antonio, TX 78229 210-297-5000
- University Hospital 4502 Medical Drive San Antonio, TX 78229 210-358-4000
- Christus Santa Rosa Hospital 11212 State Highway 151 San Antonio, TX 78251 210-703-8000
Adoption Laws and QualificationsSome of the most common questions for birth parents and adoptive families in San Antonio are about local adoption laws and regulations. Adoption laws are determined by the state and are the same in San Antonio as they are in Dallas, Houston, and anywhere else in the state. The following provides an overview of the types of laws and regulations in place in Texas. More detailed Texas adoption information is available here. Adoption Laws for Birth Parents For prospective birth parents, some of the most important adoption laws are those regarding consent and relinquishment. Texas statutes regulate who must consent to an adoption, when and how consent can be executed, when consent becomes irrevocable, and more. This information, along with information about Texas’ paternity registry and birth father rights, can be found on our Adoption in Texas page. Laws for Adoptive Families Many hopeful adoptive parents wonder whether they are eligible to adopt, what adoption expenses they are permitted to pay, and the types of adoption professionals who may advertise or facilitate an adoption. An outline of these and other Texas adoption laws is available on our state adoption information page. County District Courts At the end of the adoption process, every adoption must be finalized in family court. If you are adopting in greater San Antonio, Texas, find information about finalizing your adoption in your county:
- Atascosa County
- Bandera County
- Bexar County
- Comal County
- Guadalupe County
- Kendall County
- Medina County
- Wilson County