The holidays are upon us, which means it’s almost time for family, festivities, and fun! But, when you’re waiting to adopt, trying to get through the season can be exhausting. If you’ve tried just about everything to get your mind off of the wait, and you’re still looking for resources, we’ve rounded up some articles to help you cope. Check them out below.
Waiting to Adopt During the Holidays
Waiting is the hardest part of an adoption, especially during the holidays. Although these articles don’t have the power to make your stress completely go away, reading tips and advice from other adoptive families can be a source of comfort.
Here are some suggestions to help you get through the busy season.
- “Waiting During the Holidays”: Navigating your emotional and mental health during the holidays can be a challenge. If you’re looking for some support during this emotional time, start here.
- “The Waiting Family’s Guide to the Holidays”: There are many ways to try and stay positive during the holidays. If you’re looking for some ways to keep your spirit up, here are a few more suggestions for ways to cope.
- “Ask AF: Feeling Emotional Around the Holidays as We Wait”: In this article, a prospective parent shares her opinion on the holidays while waiting to adopt. Read what other hopeful adoptive parents have to say about getting through the season.
- “Getting Through the Holidays As You Wait to Adopt”: If you’re looking for a few tangible ways to stay busy during the holidays and get involved in your community, check out this guide.
- “Surviving the Holidays When You’re Waiting to Adopt”: Ruminating over your adoption wait can make the difficult emotions worse. Here are a few methods one hopeful adoptive parent uses to manage her feelings.
Navigating Holiday Get‐Togethers with Family
It isn’t always fun and games during family gatherings. Depending on what your family looks like, you might be placed in some uncomfortable situations. If you’re anticipating some awkward questions about your adoption, here are some articles to help you respond to well‐meaning family members.
- “Why We’re Open About Our Wait to Adopt During the Holidays”: The holidays almost always involve some nosy questions. Check out this story from a real adoptive mom on why she decided to open up — not shut down — the adoption conversation during the holidays.
- “What Not to Say to Waiting Parents During Holiday Gatherings”: This guide might be more helpful for your family members, but it’s still worth checking out. Use this article to prep yourself (and your loved ones) before your big family gatherings.
What to Do While You’re Waiting to Adopt
All adoptive families expect the wait, but actually surviving it is a different matter. But, there are ways that you can fill up your free time. Here are some suggestions for things to do while you’re waiting during or after the holiday season.
- “217+ Things to Do While You’re Waiting to Adopt”: This article offers suggestions and tips to keep adoptive families busy. Whether you’re looking for yourself or for your spouse, there are plenty of ways to keep someone occupied.
- “How to Survive the Big Wait”: If the post above still has your scratching your head for ways to fill up the time, this article has a few other ideas to help you survive the long wait.
Waiting Stories from Other Adoptive Families
The good news about waiting for an adoption opportunity is that you’re not alone. There are tons of other hopeful parents who have been, or are currently, in your shoes. Read a few stories from other adoptive families who’ve had a long wait below.
- “Two Adoptions in Three Years — And Now Waiting for Another Blessing”: Many families experience the long wait not once but multiple times to grow their family! Read Jared and Katie’s inspirational story of waiting to adopt here.
- “Forgiveness and Family — One Couple’s Long Wait for Adoption Success”: An adoption disruption is every adoptive family’s worst nightmare come true. After four disruptions, Kristin and Kirk were blessed with two beautiful children. But, they had to go through a lot to get there. Check out the inspiring story of this family who kept their hope going against all odds.
- “Worth the Wait — How One Family Survived a Long Matching Period”: Eric and Elizabeth knew they wanted to add another child to their family after their son Henry was born. But getting through the wait was one of the hardest experiences they didn’t see coming. Learn more about how they endured their long waiting period here.
We know the wait is hard. Even so, remember to have faith that everything will be okay. The wait can be long, but we promise that it won’t last forever. Remember, you can always reach out to your adoption professional for support and counseling at any time.