Syracuse Adoption and Foster Care Resources
Couples and individuals considering adopting or placing a child for adoption in Syracuse often wonder what resources, services and professionals are available to them. Whether you are facing an unplanned pregnancy or are interested in becoming an adoptive or foster parent, this guide provides the information you need about Syracuse adoption agencies, home study providers and more. Visit our Adoption in New York page for more information about state adoption laws and processes.
Adoption Agencies and Adoption Professionals in SyracuseAdoption agencies and attorneys are often great resources for local adoption information, both for prospective birth parents and adoptive families. If you are interested in working with an adoption professional near Syracuse, these local professionals can provide adoption information and services in your area:
Become a Foster Parent in SyracuseIf you are interested in opening your home to a child in foster care, either as a foster or adoptive parent, these local agencies and resources can provide the information you need about foster care in Syracuse:
- Onondaga County Department of Children and Family Services
- Hillside Family of Agencies
- Berkshire Farm Center & Services for Youth
Syracuse Home Study ServicesAnyone seeking to adopt or become a foster parent in Syracuse must complete a home study that satisfies all New York requirements. Information about the New York home study process, qualifications and post-placement study is available here. In addition, the following professionals are legally qualified to perform home studies in New York and can provide more information about what to expect during the home study:
- Dr. Judith S. Lee, LCSW 212-957-3938 Dr. Judith S. Lee, LCSW provides home studies, home study updates and post-placement supervision reports for New York State residents.
- Adoptions from the Heart 1-800-355-5500 Adoptions From the Heart (AFTH) provides home study services for all types of adoption.
Hospitals in SyracuseWhen the time comes to finally meet the new baby, a hospital plan will be in place to determine who is in the delivery room when the baby is born, how much time the birth and adoptive parents will spend with the new baby, and more. If you are a prospective birth mother in Syracuse, your adoption agency should be able to work with you and your delivery hospital to develop your hospital plan. Here are some area hospitals that you may be working with:
- Crouse Hospital 736 Irving Avenue Syracuse, NY 13210 315-470-7111
- St. Joseph’s Hospital 301 Prospect Avenue Syracuse, NY 13203 315-448-5399
- Upstate University Hospital 4900 Broad Road Syracuse, NY 13215 315-492-5573