Home » Adoptions by State » Your Complete Guide to Adoption in Kansas » Adoption by City » Wichita Adoption & Foster Care Resources
Wichita Adoption & Foster Care Resources
For adopting families and expecting mothers alike, adoption can be a long and complex process, and you may be wondering what resources and support are available to you in the Wichita area. Fortunately, you can find local professionals, home study providers, healthcare professionals, and anything else you need to pursue your adoption. The following page will provide you with everything you need to know about adoption in Wichita.
Wichita Adoption Agencies and Adoption ProfessionalsIf you are pursuing adoption, your first step will be choosing an adoption professional to help you. There are many different kinds of professionals, including facilitators, lawyers, law centers, and agencies. Here, you can find a list of adoption agencies and other professionals near Wichita:
Foster Care in WichitaParents looking to adopt older children may consider going through the foster care system. In order to become a foster parent in Kansas, you must first meet the following requirements:
- Complete orientation and training
- Undergo a background check
- Complete PS-MAPP requirements
- Pass a home study and become licensed in Kansas
Home Study ProfessionalsBefore you are cleared to adopt a child, you must first complete a home study. The process can take up to a few months and consists of a series of background checks, a home inspection, and an interview. It is recommended that you begin the home study process as soon as possible. To get started, contact one of the following Kansas-licensed social workers: Near Wichita:
- Adoption Social Work Service 316-371-7226 The social workers at Adoption Social Work Service are located in Wichita and can help you complete a home study for foster care or adoption.
- American Adoptions 1-800-ADOPTION American Adoptions is a national, full-service adoption agency that is licensed to conduct home studies in six states, including Kansas.
- Adoption & Beyond 913-381-6919 At Adoption & Beyond, you can find resources, information, and assistance for each step of the adoption process, including the home study.
- Holt International 402-934-5031 Holt International is staffed with multiple social workers who are licensed in Kansas. By following the link, you can find their contact information to get your home study started.
Hospitals near WichitaPregnant mothers who are considering adoption must also consider their hospital plan as their due date approaches. If you are planning your hospital stay, you can work with your adoption specialist to determine where and how you would like to have your baby, who you want to be present with you, and how much contact you would like with your baby and the adoptive family on the big day. To help you plan your hospital stay, you can contact one of the following Wichita hospitals for more information on their facilities:
- Wesley Healthcare 550 N. Hillside Wichita, KS 67214 316-962-2000
- Via Christa Hospital St. Joseph 3600 E. Harry Street Wichita, KS 67218 316-268-5000