10 Ways that You Can Get Involved
All of November is National Adoption Month, but on Nov. 23, it’s time to celebrate National Adoption Day!
This campaign is a nationwide effort to raise awareness of the more-than-120,000 children in foster care waiting for their forever homes. National Adoption Day continues to be celebrated annually by organizations, adoption professionals, and adoptive families alike. It’s estimated that, since its inception in 2000, more than 70,000 beautiful families have been created — so today’s kind of a big deal.
But, even if you haven’t adopted from the foster care system, you can still be a part of the conversation. In fact, we encourage it. Today is about you, too! This is another opportunity during National Adoption Month to celebrate the way adoption touches all of our lives. We want families, from all types of adoptions, to share their unique story and get involved. There are plenty of ways to talk about National Adoption Day with your child, their birth parents and your community. Start the conversation today!
What You Can Do to Honor National Adoption Day
National Adoption Day takes place every Saturday before Thanksgiving — just in time for the holidays. There are so many simple ways that you can get involved. So, don’t be afraid to get creative.
We’ve listed just a few below, but there are plenty of other ideas that you might consider. Even if you choose to do something small, you’re still making a difference, so don’t underestimate the impact you have today. Here are some fun activities that you can do to celebrate National Adoption Day.
- Start a blog: You have a beautiful, unique family, and the world wants to see it! Starting a blog is a great opportunity to share and document your adoption story. It’s also a great way to educate others on adoption and what they can expect to happen during their journey. Even if you don’t get the chance to interact with every reader who sees your story, you’re still making an impact on other families around the globe.
- Send a thank you card and photos to your professional: It takes many people to make an adoption come together. Take the time to thank your social worker or adoption agency for all that they’ve done to help make your family‐building dreams come true. Don’t forget to include a photo, too!
- Get together with other adoptive families: If you know other adoptive families in your area, plan a National Adoption Day party! Everyone will have the chance to share their experience with adoption and enjoy some great company.
- Get active on social media: A blog isn’t the only place where you can get engaged online. You can also spread awareness on your favorite social media platform. Use the hashtags #OneDayProject or #NationalAdoptionDay to spread the word.
- Volunteer: There are countless ways that you can support foster care that don’t involve adoption. If you’re ready to make a full-time difference in the life of a foster child today, why not become a mentor or a respite caregiver? You could make a huge difference in someone else’s life with just your time.
- Plan an event or attend one: If you’d like to take the helm on National Adoption Day, you can also plan your own event. The official National Adoption Day website has plenty of resources, including event planning logos and toolkits, which you can use at your convenience.
- Reach out to your child’s birth parents: National Adoption Day is for birth parents, too! If you’re still in contact with your child’s biological family, let them know that you’re thinking of them. There are countless ways to show how much you care, but many families choose to send cards, flowers or even a handmade gift.
- Donate: There are many hopeful parents waiting to become a family but without the resources to do so. You could take today to help make their dreams come true. There are plenty of websites, like AdoptTogether, that you can use to help. You can also donate to organizations that sponsor National Adoption Day, such as the Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption or The Alliance for Children’s Rights.
- Share adoption articles: If you have a few favorite positive adoption stories, share them today! If you enjoyed them, we guarantee someone else will, too.
- Plan a fundraiser: Don’t forget that there are still thousands of children waiting for their forever home! If you’re ready to make a greater impact, consider starting a fundraiser for National Adoption Day to show your support. Any amount you raise will help in finding permanent homes for other children still waiting to be adopted.
What are your plans this National Adoption Day? We’d love to hear about them! Reach out to us below in the comments and let us know how you plan to turn this National Adoption Day a memorable one. Have fun!