Portland Adoption and Foster Care Resources
Whether you are considering adopting a child or placing your baby for adoption in Portland, Maine, there are many local resources available to you. The following provides information about local adoption agencies, home study providers and other adoption and foster care services in Portland. Additional resources for expectant mothers and adoptive parents throughout the state can be found on our adoption in Maine page.
Portland Adoption Agencies and Adoption ProfessionalsWhether you are ready to begin the adoption process or still need more adoption information, adoption professionals can often provide the services and support you need. The following adoption agencies are located in Portland and are experienced in meeting the needs of adoptive and birth parents in Maine: national adoption agencies and other adoption professionals in Maine serving the Portland area.
Become a Foster Parent in PortlandIf you are interesting in adopting an older child or becoming a foster parent in Portland, you will need to meet the requirements for foster parents in Maine and complete the home study process. For information about foster care and foster adoption in Portland and throughout the rest of the state, visit our Maine adoption page. These agencies and organizations can also provide additional information and help you get started as a foster parent in the Portland area:
Completing the Home Study in PortlandThe home study is a major component of every adoption and foster placement, and home study requirements are determined by state adoption laws. Information about Maine home study requirements, qualifications and approval is included with our Maine adoption information. When you are ready to begin the home study process, contact any of these legally qualified home study providers in the Portland area:
- Acadia Adoption Center 207-267-8110 Acadia Adoption Center is a licensed adoption agency assisting families with both international and domestic home studies and adoptions.
- Families and Children Together 207-941-2347 FACT provides home studies and post-placement services for families working with an out-of-state agency or adopting a child from Maine’s child welfare system.
- Adoption Partners of Maine 888-635-6935 Adoption Partners offers home study services to families entering its infant placement program and those contracted with another placing agency.
Hospitals in PortlandIf you are facing an unplanned pregnancy and making an adoption plan for your baby, you will have the opportunity to make many important choices throughout the adoption process, including complete control over your hospital stay. You will create a hospital plan that outlines all of your preferences for your labor and delivery. The hospital will be aware of your plan ahead of time to ensure a smooth labor and delivery process. When you are ready to make your hospital plan, here are some Portland area hospitals that you may be working with:
- Maine Medical Center 22 Bramhall Street Portland, ME 04102 207-662-0111
- Northern Light Mercy Hospital 144 State Street Portland, ME 04101 207-553-6363