Home » Adoptions by State » How to Adopt in Michigan » Grand Rapids Adoption & Foster Care Resources
Grand Rapids Adoption & Foster Care Resources
Whether you are a hopeful parent seeking to adopt or a pregnant woman considering an adoption plan, there are many local adoption and foster care resources in Grand Rapids. The following provides information about local adoption agencies, home study providers and other adoption services in and around Grand Rapids, Michigan. Additional resources for expectant mothers and adoptive parents throughout the state are included in our Michigan adoption information.
Grand Rapids Adoption Agencies and Adoption ProfessionalsWhen you decide to begin the adoption process, you will likely need to work with an adoption professional to get the services and support you need. Some adoptive and birth parents prefer to work with a local or regional adoption agency. If you are interested in working with an adoption professional in Grand Rapids, consider the following:
Become a Foster Parent in Grand RapidsIf you are interested in fostering a child in Grand Rapids, you will need to meet all state requirements for foster parents and complete the home study process. The requirements to become a foster parent in Michigan include:
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Complete an application and training
- Provide three references
- Successfully complete the home study
Completing the Home Study in Grand RapidsThe home study is a major component of every adoption and foster placement, and home study requirements are determined by state statutes. In Michigan, every home study consists of personal interviews with the adoptive parents, home visits, criminal history checks, and more. For more information about what to expect during the home study process, visit our Adoption in Michigan page. When you are ready to begin the home study process, contact any of these legally qualified home study providers in your area: Near Grand Rapids:
- Adoption Associates 800-677-2367 Adoption Associates completes home studies for families adopting children from countries throughout Africa, Asia and the Americas.
- Child & Parent Services 248-646-7790 Child & Parent Services is a licensed nonprofit adoption agency that provides post-adoption services and support and facilitates home studies for interstate, attorney-assisted and international adoptions.
- Keane Center for Adoption 313-277-4664 The staff at the Keane Center for Adoption routinely complete expert home study and post-placement services for adoptive parents who are working with adoption attorneys, out-of-state agencies and family adoptions.
- All God’s Children 800-214-6719 All God’s Children is a Hague accredited agency that offers home study services to Michigan families, including families adopting from another agency.
Hospitals in Grand RapidsIf you are an expectant mother and you choose adoption for your baby, you will have the opportunity to create a hospital plan, which includes your preferences for who is in the delivery room with you, how much you will interact with your baby and the adoptive family, and more. The delivery hospital will be aware of your hospital plan ahead of time to ensure a smooth labor and delivery process. When you are ready to make your hospital plan, here are some local Grand Rapids hospitals that you may be able to work with:
- Spectrum Health Family Birthplace 100 Michigan Street NE Grand Rapids, MI 49503 616-391-5000
- Mercy Health Saint Mary’s 200 Jefferson Avenue SE Grand Rapids, MI 49503 616-685-5000
- Metro Health Spartan Stores Family Childbirth Center 5900 Byron Center Avenue SW Wyoming, MI 49519 616-252-7738