Lansing Adoption & Foster Care Resources
As a prospective adoptive or birth parent in Lansing, you likely have many questions about how to adopt or place a baby for adoption in Michigan. Fortunately, there are many local foster care, home study and adoption professionals who can assist you through the process of adopting or placing a child for adoption in Lansing.
Lansing Adoption Professionals and Adoption AgenciesFor adoptive parents and birth mothers alike, one of the first steps in the adoption process is to choose an adoption professional to work with. Your adoption professional will provide the services and guidance you need to complete the adoption. If you prefer to work with a local agency, the following adoption professionals in Lansing may be able to assist you:
How to Become a Foster Parent in LansingTo become a foster parent or to adopt from the foster care system in Michigan, you will need to meet certain state qualifications. Information about becoming a foster parent in Michigan is available through our Adoption in Michigan page and the Michigan Adoption Resource Exchange. The following local agencies and resources can also provide additional information about foster care in Lansing:
Home Study Providers in LansingFor adoptive parents, the home study is one of the most important parts of every adoption and foster care process. The Michigan home study includes the following elements:
- Personal interviews
- Home visits
- Interviews of references
- Criminal records checks
- Physical exam
- Adoption Associates 800-677-2367 Adoption Associates completes home studies for families adopting children from countries throughout Africa, Asia and the Americas.
- Keane Center for Adoption 313-277-4664 The staff at the Keane Center for Adoption routinely complete expert home study and post-placement services for adoptive parents who are working with adoption attorneys, out-of-state agencies and family adoptions.
- Child & Parent Services 248-646-7790 Child & Parent Services is a licensed nonprofit adoption agency that provides post-adoption services and support and facilitates home studies for interstate, attorney-assisted and international adoptions.
- All God’s Children 800-214-6719 All God’s Children is a Hague accredited agency that offers home study services to Michigan families, including families adopting from another agency.
Hospitals in LansingOne of the most emotional parts of the adoption process, both for birth parents and adoptive families, is the time spent in the hospital when the baby is born. It is entirely up to the birth mother to decide how she would like her hospital stay to go. If you are making an adoption plan for your baby, you will work with your adoption professional and your delivery hospital to ensure everything happens exactly as you want it to. When you are ready to begin creating your hospital plan, here are some Lansing maternity hospitals that may be able to assist you:
- Family Birth Place – McLaren Greater Lansing 401 West Greenlawn Lansing, MI 48910 517-975-7300
- Sparrow Hospital 1215 E. Michigan Avenue Lansing, MI 48912 517-337-7365