Jackson Adoption & Foster Care Resources
If you live in the capital of Mississippi or are about to pursue an adoption there, you may be wondering what resources are available to you. Fortunately, you can find everything you need right in your home city. The following page contains information on local adoption agencies, home study providers, hospitals, and anything else you need for your adoption in Jackson, Mississippi.
Adoption Agencies and Professionals in JacksonTo begin the adoption process, many hopeful adoptive parents and pregnant women considering adoption first choose an adoption professional to help guide them through the process. You have many choices when selecting an adoption professional. If you are interested in working with an adoption agency or attorney near Jackson, consider the following:
Jackson Foster Care ResourcesLike adoptive parents, foster parents must meet the requirements of their state before they can care for a child. If you want to become a foster parent in Mississippi, you must fit the following criteria:
- Be between the ages of 21 and 65
- Undergo background check
- If married, be married for at least 2 years
- Complete a home study and have:
- Running and sanitary water
- A working telephone
- A smoke alarm and fire extinguisher
- A bedroom and bed for the child
- Be in good health
- Be able to provide transportation for the child
- Mississippi Department of Child Protection Services
- Mississippi Children’s Home Services
- Southern Christian Services for Children and Youth, Inc.
Home Study ProvidersFor prospective parents, the home study is one of the most important parts of every adoption and foster care process. Consisting of interviews, background checks, home visits and a written report, the Mississippi home study helps ensure that your home is fit for a child. It is important to choose the right professional to complete your adoption home study and ensure it complies with all state laws and requirements. To get started, contact a home study provider in your state:
- New Beginnings 662-842-6752 Contact New Beginnings for an in-depth review of your home that will meet all Mississippi guidelines.
- Lifeline Children’s Services 205-967-0811 Lifeline has licensed social workers in all of the states where they complete adoptions, including Mississippi.
Hospitals near JacksonAs the baby’s due date draws closer, it is up to the expectant mother to create a hospital plan for her stay. If you are making an adoption plan for your baby, this will be your opportunity to decide who is in the delivery room with you, how much time you will spend with your baby and the adoptive family, and more. When you are ready to begin planning your hospital stay, your adoption agency will work with the delivery hospital to make them aware of your wishes. Here are some local Jackson hospitals that you may be able to work with:
- Merit Health Women’s Hospital 1026 North Flowood Drive Flowood, MS 39232 601-932-1000
- Baptist Health Systems 1225 North State Street Jackson, MS 39202 601-968-1000
- Wiser Hospital for Women and Infants 2500 North State Street Jackson, MS 39216 601-815-4545