Adoption can be an amazing way to start a family. And if you’re considering international adoption in Kansas, you’ve come to the right place.
We know that your journey to this point has been unique. You may have always felt a calling to adopt. There are millions of children around the world
waiting for a family through adoption. The scope and gravity of this need may spur you to action — to growing your family through international adoption in Kansas
Others have arrived after a long and painful struggle with infertility. Adoption wasn’t always on the front of your mind, but now, it seems like the best family-building option for you. Family is more than biology; it’s love. International adoption in Kansas could be the way to begin your next chapter as a family.
However you’ve arrived at this point, we’ve created this guide for anyone considering international adoption in Kansas
. We’ll cover how the process works, how to look for international adoption agencies in Kansas, and some ways to prepare for this process.
Once you’re finished reading, we hope you feel better equipped to take your next steps.
Is International Adoption in Kansas Right for You?
We can’t go into any further details until you have asked and answered this question
. It may seem like an obvious first step, but you can’t skip over it without spending adequate time and thought arriving at your answer.
Adoption is amazing. It’s a beautiful way to build a family, and international adoption in Kansas could be perfect for you. But, it’s also a challenge. The process can be lengthy
and, at times, frustrating and stressful. It requires 100% commitment from the start.
Only you can know for sure if this type of adoption is best for you. As you consider this, ask yourself these questions:
- Am I prepared for the responsibilities of parenthood?
- Am I ready for the additional challenges of raising a transcultural family?
- Am I comfortable with international travel?
- Have I prepared financially for this process?
- What do I envision when I think of my future family?
- Do I have a strong support network to help me during and after the process?
Hopefully these questions are helpful as you determine whether or not you are ready to pursue international adoption in Kansas.
How International Adoption in Kansas Works
Once you know that international adoption in Kansas is right for you, you’ll be ready to start the process. How does that work? While every journey is unique, these are the steps to complete an international adoption placement:
Step 1: Choose a Country
Choosing a country to adopt from
can feel overwhelming. Consider the county’s laws, whether or not it is party to the Hague Convention, and its unique cultural heritage as you make this choice.
Step 2: Choose an Agency
Your international adoption agency
in Kansas will be your most important partner throughout this process. Most agencies only work in a select group of countries, so it’s important to be sure about your county of choice before settling on an agency.
Step 3: Complete the Home Study
Every hopeful parent pursuing international adoption in Kansas must complete a home study
. This review of your living situation and adoption readiness must be conducted by a licensed social worker from a Hague-accredited home study provider.
Step 4: Complete an Adoption Eligibility Application
You will apply for international adoption with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
(USCIS) Adoption Department. For adoption from Hague Convention countries, fill out Form 1-800A
, along with other pertinent documents, which your agency should be able to help with. Once approved, you will be eligible for an adoption placement for 15 months.
Step 5: Wait for a Match
After all this work — you’ll have to wait
. The wait for a match can be one of the most challenging parts of an international adoption in Kansas. Your agency will be hard at work finding the perfect adoption opportunity for you. Then, when the time comes, you’ll be presented with an adoption opportunity. Oftentimes, you’ll be sent a child profile and, if ready, can accept the match.
Step 6: Travel for Adoption
Once an opportunity has been accepted, plans must be put in place to travel
to the child’s country of origin. You may travel more than once. Working out the travel and immigration logistics can take weeks or months.
Step 7: Return Home and Finalize the Adoption
The last step of your international adoption in Kansas is to return back to the states and finalize the adoption, which is often called re-adoption
. You may legally adopt your child in their country before returning home. But, this does not directly translate to the States. That’s why it is always recommended to finalize (or re-adopt) the child in a U.S. court.
International Adoption Agencies in Kansas
Your agency is your most important partner while you navigate this long and complicated process. Choosing an international adoption agency in Kansas is one of the first and most important decisions you’ll make.
What should you look for in an agency? First, it’s important for any agency you consider to be accredited by the Hague Convention
— the standard bearer for ethical practices in international adoption. Second, look for qualities like:
- Availability outside of typical work hours
- Honesty about fees
- Risk-protection programs for your financial investment
- Appropriate caseloads for each social worker
With these character traits in mind, here are a few international adoption agencies in Kansas for you to consider:
Preparing for the International Adoption Process
You can prepare for an international adoption in Kansas even before you begin the process. Getting a head start can make it easier to navigate several of the distinct challenges that come with international adoption in Kansas.
Here are three simple steps to take before you begin this journey that will leave you better off in the long run:
- Plan for the Financial Obligations: How are you planning to cover all of the costs associated with international adoption in Kansas? Saving, fundraising and applying for adoption grants are all good ways to prepare for your journey.
- Build a Support Network: They say it takes a village to raise a child, and it can also take a village to complete an adoption. Your adoption support group is made up of people you can rely on for practical needs — like dinner during a crazy time — and also emotional needs. A strong support network can make a big difference during some of the most challenging steps of the process.
- Educate Yourself on Raising a Transcultural Family: Parenting is never easy. Being a parent in a transcultural family brings unique challenges and opportunities. But, no matter how much you feel like you’ll be a “natural,” you won’t be in a position to make the most of these opportunities without educating yourself. Seek out resources on transcultural families and listen to the experiences of transracial adoptees as you prepare for this incredible journey.
Your Next Steps
Are you ready to begin your international adoption in Kansas? The best way to move forward is by contacting one (or more) of the agencies listed above. Take your time choosing an agency and pick the one that feels best to you.
Or, if you are still unsure about the type of adoption that will be best for you, take a look at our in-depth guides to the different types of adoption in Kansas.