Lexington Adoption & Foster Care Resources
Known as the home of Abraham Lincoln, the city of Lexington is also home to many resources for people pursuing adoption. For expecting mothers and hopeful families alike, this page has all of the information needed to complete an adoption in Lexington, Kentucky. For information on laws and qualifications, visit our Adoption in Kentucky page. Here, you will find information for adoption professionals, home study providers, hospitals, and more.
Adoption Agencies and Professionals in LexingtonWhether you are a pregnant mother or a family hoping to adopt, your first step in the adoption process will be choosing a professional. If you are ready to start the process and looking for the right professional, you can start your search by visiting the pages of the following local agencies and professionals:
Lexington Foster Care ResourcesTo be a foster parent in Lexington, couples and individuals must meet the requirements of the state and their chosen agency. For prospective foster parents in Kentucky, that means you must:
- Be at least 21 years old
- Show evidence of good health and steady income
- Attend an informational meeting and training
- Complete a home study
Home Study ProvidersThe home study signifies that you are officially ready to adopt a child. During this assessment, a social worker will conduct a background check, visit your home, and interview the members of your household to make sure your home is safe for a baby. The home study can take up to a few months, so it is recommended that you begin as soon as possible. See the sections below for information on Kentucky-licensed home study providers: Near Lexington:
- Adoption Assistance, Inc. 859-236-2761 This full-service adoption agency offers help to birth parents as well as parents seeking domestic or international adoption. Along with their other services, they provide home studies.
- All Blessings International 1-866-543-7459 Although they specialize in intercountry adoptions, All Blessings International is qualified and willing to help Kentucky families complete their domestic adoption home study, as well.
Hospitals near LexingtonOne of the most emotional parts of the adoption process, both for birth parents and adoptive families, is the time spent in the hospital when the baby is born. It is entirely up to the birth mother to decide how she would like her hospital stay to go. If you are making an adoption plan for your baby, you will work with your adoption professional and your delivery hospital to ensure everything happens exactly as you want it to. When you are ready to begin creating your hospital plan, here are some Lexington area hospitals that may be able to assist you:
- Baptist Health Lexington 1740 Nicholasville Road Lexington, KY 40503 859-260-6100
- The Women's Hospital Saint Joseph East 170 North Eagle Creek Drive Lexington, KY 40509 859-967-2273
- U.K. Chandler Hospital 800 Rose Street, University of Kentucky Lexington, KY 40536 859-257-1000