Home » Adoptions by State » How to Adopt in Nebraska » Grand Island Adoption & Foster Care Resources
Grand Island Adoption & Foster Care Resources
Whether you are considering adoption as an expectant mother or prospective adoptive parent in Grand Island, you likely have questions about local adoption laws and processes. The following information provides an overview of local adoption and foster care agencies, home study professionals and other adoption and foster care services available in your area. Read on to learn more about starting the adoption process in Grand Island.
Adoption Agencies and Professionals in Grand IslandProspective birth parents and hopeful adoptive families should work closely with an adoption professional throughout the process. This professional will provide education, counseling and the adoption services you need to complete your adoption. If you would prefer to work with a local or regional agency, consider the following Grand Island adoption professionals:
- Nebraska Children’s Home Society
- Lutheran Family Services of Nebraska, Inc.
- Shamberg, Wolf, McDermott & Depue
- Tobin Wolfe Law
Grand Island Foster Care ResourcesFoster care programs, requirements and processes vary depending on state laws. In Nebraska, the requirements for foster parents can be met by completing 27 hours of PRIDE family training. Some agencies have additional training or requirements for the parents they work with. Contact a local foster care agency for more information about the process to become a foster parent in Grand Island:
Home Study ProvidersAll prospective adoptive families must complete a home study. It is recommended that you begin the process as soon as possible, as it can take up to a few months and you must complete it before you can move forward in your adoption. For your home study, you will need to contact a licensed social worker to conduct a background check, a home inspection, and interviews with you and your family. To begin the process or inquire further, contact one of the following Nebraska-licensed home study providers:
- Adoption Consultants 308-340-6242 Adoption Consultants has licensed social workers located in every area of Nebraska, with over 50 years of combined experience between them. See their website for more contact information.
- Lutheran Family Services of Nebraska, Inc. 402-342-7038 LFS works with contracted home study providers to help you complete your Nebraska home study, whether or not you choose to work with their agency.
- Jewish Family Service 402-330-2024 Located in Omaha, this agency will conduct your home study and post-placement assessments regardless of your religious affiliation.
Hospitals near Grand IslandAs the baby’s due date draws closer, it is up to the expectant mother to create a hospital plan for her stay. If you are making an adoption plan for your baby, this will be your opportunity to decide who is in the delivery room with you, how much time you will spend with your baby and the adoptive family, and more. When you are ready to begin planning your hospital stay, your adoption agency will work with the delivery hospital to make them aware of your wishes. Here are some local Grand Island hospitals that you may be able to work with:
- CHI Health Clinic – Women’s Health 705 North Orleans Drive Grand Island, NE 68803 402-717-0909