Omaha Adoption & Foster Care Resources
If you live in the Omaha area and are considering adoption, either as a prospective adoptive parent or as a woman facing an unplanned pregnancy, you are likely wondering about Nebraska adoption laws, resources and processes. Here, find the information you need about Omaha adoption agencies, home study providers and other local adoption and foster care services.
Adoption Agencies and Professionals in OmahaTo begin the adoption process, many hopeful adoptive parents and pregnant women considering adoption first choose an adoption professional to help guide them through the process. You have many choices when selecting an adoption professional. If you are interested in working with an adoption agency or attorney near Omaha, consider the following:
- Child Saving Institute
- Nebraska Children’s Home Society
- Adoption Consultants
- Bethany Christian Services
- Lutheran Family Services of Nebraska
Omaha Foster Care ResourcesLike adoptive parents, foster parents must meet the requirements of their state before they can care for a child. If you want to become a foster parent in Nebraska, you must complete a 27-hour PRIDE training program, which will prepare you for every aspect of caring for a child in foster care. If you would like to learn more about fostering and available children near you, you can find a list of foster care agencies in or near Omaha below:
Home Study ProvidersFor prospective parents, the home study is one of the most important parts of every adoption and foster care process. Consisting of interviews, background checks, home visits and a written report, the Nebraska home study helps ensure that your home is fit for a child. It is important to choose the right professional to complete your adoption home study and ensure it complies with all state laws and requirements. To get started, contact a home study provider in your area:
- Lutheran Family Services of Nebraska, Inc. 402-342-7038 LFS works with contracted home study providers to help you complete your Nebraska home study, whether or not you choose to work with their agency.
- Jewish Family Service 402-330-2024 Located in Omaha, this agency will conduct your home study and post-placement assessments regardless of your religious affiliation.
Hospitals near OmahaAs the baby’s due date draws closer, it is up to the expectant mother to create a hospital plan for her stay. If you are making an adoption plan for your baby, this will be your opportunity to decide who is in the delivery room with you, how much time you will spend with your baby and the adoptive family, and more. When you are ready to begin planning your hospital stay, your adoption agency will work with the delivery hospital to make them aware of your wishes. Here are some local Omaha hospitals that you may be able to work with:
- CHI Health Maternity Center at Immanuel 6901 North 72nd Street Omaha, NE 68122 402-572-2022
- Assure Women’s Center 6510 Sorensen Parkway Omaha, Nebraska 68152 402-397-0600
- Nebraska Medicine 987400 Nebraska Medical Center Omaha, NE 68198 402-552-2000
- Methodist Women’s Hospital 8511 West Dodge Road Omaha, NE 68114 402-354-4800