Home » Adoptions by State » How to Adopt in South Dakota » Aberdeen Adoption & Foster Care Resources
Aberdeen Adoption & Foster Care Resources
If you are a family hoping to grow through adoption or a pregnant woman considering adoption for your baby, you will need a variety of services and support throughout the adoption process. Here, you will find local resources and adoption information for the Aberdeen area. Visit our How to Adopt in South Dakota page for additional resources and information about adoption in your state.
Adoption Agencies and Professionals in AberdeenWhether you are considering adopting or placing a baby for adoption in Aberdeen, the professional you choose to work with can provide the guidance, services and support you need through the adoption process. Some adoptive and birth parents are most comfortable working with a local or regional adoption agency. The following Aberdeen adoption professionals can help you complete your adoption:
- Catholic Family Services
- Lutheran Social Services
- Siegel, Barnett, & Schutz
- Richardson, Wyly, Wise, Sauk & Hieb, LLP
Aberdeen Foster Care ResourcesParents looking to adopt an older child or provide temporary homes for children can pursue foster care in their home town. In order to be a foster parent in Aberdeen, you must meet the following South Dakota requirements:
- Be at least 21 years of age
- Provide a safe and stable home for a child
- Attend 30 hours of training
- Participate in in-home consultations
- Pass a home study
Home Study ProvidersIf you want to adopt a child in Aberdeen, you must first find a state-licensed social worker to conduct a home study for you. When you find a home study provider, they will help you through the process of completing a background check, home inspection, and interview to make sure your home is ready for a child. To get your home study started, contact one of the following South Dakota home study professionals:
- DeVonne Powell, CSW-PIP 605-360-5735 DeVonne Powell has been working as a home study provider since 2008 and has experience teaching parenting classes.
- Keri Meyer, CSW-PIP 605-376-4834 Keri Meyer has worked in therapy and home study evaluations, and she is licensed to complete South Dakota home studies.
- Mary Gustafson, CSW-PIP 605-360-5738 With her experience at Child Protection Services and Children’s Home Society, she has worked for families in several capacities and has been in social work since 2002.
- Brenda Risty, CSW-PIP 605-940-0902 Along with home studies for adoption and foster care, Brenda Risty also has experience in providing therapy.
Hospitals near AberdeenIf you are an expectant mother pursuing adoption, you will need to consider your hospital plan as your due date approaches. As a prospective birth mother, you can work with your adoption specialist and healthcare provider to determine the type of labor and delivery experience you want to have. When you are ready to begin creating your hospital plan, here are some Aberdeen area hospitals that may be able to assist you:
- Avera St. Luke’s Hospital 305 South State Street Aberdeen, SD 57401 605-622-5000
- Sanford Aberdeen Medical Center 3015 3rd Avenue SE Aberdeen, SD 57401 605-725-1700