Home » Adoptions by State » How to Adopt in South Dakota » Sioux Falls Adoption & Foster Care Resources
Sioux Falls Adoption & Foster Care Resources
For hopeful adoptive families and prospective birth mothers alike, the adoption process requires a lot of careful thought, research, and planning. If you are pursuing adoption in the Sioux Falls area, you may be wondering what resources you have available to you. Whatever stage of your adoption journey you are on, the information provided here can help you with adoption in Sioux Falls, South Dakota.
Adoption Agencies and Professionals in Sioux FallsTo begin the adoption process, many hopeful adoptive parents and pregnant women considering adoption first choose an adoption professional to help guide them through the process. You have many choices when selecting an adoption professional. If you are interested in working with an adoption agency or attorney near Sioux Falls, consider the following:
- Bethany Christian Services
- Heart2Heart Adoptions
- All About U Adoptions
- Lutheran Social Services of South Dakota
- New Horizons Adoption Agency
Sioux Falls Foster Care ResourcesLike adoptive parents, foster parents must meet the requirements of their state before they can care for a child. If you want to become a foster parent in South Dakota, you must fit the following criteria:
- Be at least 21 years old
- Provide a safe and stable home for a child
- Attend 30 hours of training
- Participate in in-home consultations
- Pass a home study
Home Study ProvidersFor prospective parents, the home study is one of the most important parts of every adoption and foster care process. Consisting of interviews, background checks, home visits and a written report, the South Dakota home study helps ensure that your home is fit for a child. It is important to choose the right professional to complete your adoption home study and ensure it complies with all state laws and requirements. To get started, contact a home study provider in your area:
- DeVonne Powell, CSW-PIP 605-360-5735 DeVonne Powell has been working as a home study provider since 2008 and has experience teaching parenting classes.
- Keri Meyer, CSW-PIP 605-376-4834 Keri Meyer has worked in therapy and home study evaluations, and she is licensed to complete South Dakota home studies.
- Mary Gustafson, CSW-PIP 605-360-5738 With her experience at Child Protection Services and Children’s Home Society, she has worked for families in several capacities and has been in social work since 2002.
Hospitals near Sioux FallsAs the baby’s due date draws closer, it is up to the expectant mother to create a hospital plan for her stay. If you are making an adoption plan for your baby, this will be your opportunity to decide who is in the delivery room with you, how much time you will spend with your baby and the adoptive family, and more. When you are ready to begin planning your hospital stay, your adoption agency will work with the delivery hospital to make them aware of your wishes. Here are some local Sioux Falls hospitals that you may be able to work with:
- Avera Women’s 1417 South Cliff Avenue Sioux Falls, SD 57105 605-322-8920
- Sioux Falls USD Medical Center 1305 West 18th Street Sioux Falls, SD 57105 605-328-5690