I Just Gave Birth: Who Do I Talk to About Adoption
If you’ve just had a baby and want to look into adoption, it’s not too late – an adoption agency can help you with everything you need to make the best decision for your child.
Adoption agencies are licensed, full-service adoption professionals that are equipped to guide you through every step of the process. If you reach out to an adoption agency, your personal adoption specialist will help you find a family, give you counseling and support, arrange for financial assistance, and guide you through the legal side of your adoption – all in a matter of days if necessary.
Adoption Agencies: Everything in One Place
If you’ve just given birth, you likely want to come to a decision and complete your adoption as quickly as you can. An adoption agency can ensure you make a quick but positive and informed decision by offering the following benefits:
- Pre-screened waiting families – All of the families that your adoption specialist will show you have been thoroughly screened and are cleared to adopt a baby, so you don’t have to worry about whether their home is safe for your child.
- Guidance and support – Your specialist will be there for you not only to help you complete the adoption process, but to provide crucial emotional support during this time of your life.
- Experience and expertise – Women from all walks of life and stages of pregnancy have chosen adoption for their children, and it is likely that your specialist has worked with mothers in your position before.
After-Birth Adoptions: What You Need to Know
For women who have already given birth, the adoption experience is different in a few ways. If you are pursuing adoption after you’ve had your baby, keep the following in mind:
- You will have less time for counseling – Your adoption will help you make sure that you are emotionally prepared for the adoption process, but you will naturally have less time to deliberate and weigh your other options.
- You will have little to no pre-placement contact with the family – Women who begin the adoption process early in their pregnancy have the added benefit of getting to know the adoptive family more personally before the baby is born. While you may still speak with an adoptive family before making your decision, your time is obviously limited.
- You may feel less prepared, emotionally or otherwise – Adoption is a complicated process from both a legal and emotional standpoint. While you may feel overwhelmed, it is important to remember that your adoption professional is there to make sure your adoption goes smoothly.
As the mother, you are the only one who can decide what the right choice for your baby is. It does not matter whether you are nine months pregnant, in the delivery room, or have already had the baby – if adoption is the best decision, you can always reach out to an adoption agency to help you make the best decision and to ensure all of your goals are met.