If you are considering adoption, you may be wondering what types of people are interested in growing their families through adoption.
Adoptive families are just as unique and diverse as traditional families, and the options for the kind of home your child can have are expansive. If and when you begin looking for an adoptive family, you will likely find just the kind of family you see your child growing up with.
The following explains the types of people that adopt and why they choose to adopt.
Who Can Adopt?
The short answer: Anyone who wants to grow their family and has been deemed fit parents by a professional can adopt a child.
The long answer: Many people think that only certain kinds of families are allowed to adopt, but this isn’t true. Here are just a few examples of some of the varied types of families that have adopted, are currently adopting, and will adopt in the future:
• Older and younger couples
• Homosexual couples
• Single parents
• Military families
• Families with other biological children
• Families with other adopted children
• Interracial/transracial families
• Religious and non-religious families
• Families living abroad
Why Do People Adopt?
All kinds of people pursue adoption for all kinds of reasons, but there are certain situations that commonly bring families to adoption. Some of the characteristics that many adoptive families share include:
• Infertility – Many adoptive families have previously struggled with trying to have children biologically, but they have found adoption as their new path to parenthood.
• Desire to help – Some people decide to adopt not because of infertility but because they want to provide a loving home to a child in need and support a woman in your situation. Like you, these adoptive families want what’s best for you and your baby.
• Love of kids – Some people’s life goal is to be parents, no matter what age they are. Many adoptive parents may already have older children of their own and simply want to experience parenthood all over again.
Families come in all forms, and adoptive families are no exception. Although there may be common traits that many adoptive families share, each one is unique. However, you can always expect that the prospective adoptive parents you encounter cherish their family and have lots of love to share with your child.