Home » Adoptions by State » How to Adopt in California » San Francisco Adoption & Foster Care Resources
San Francisco Adoption & Foster Care Resources
If you live in the San Francisco Bay area and are considering adoption, either as a prospective adoptive parent or as a woman facing an unplanned pregnancy, you likely have questions about California adoption resources, laws and process. Here, find information about San Francisco adoption agencies, home study providers and more.
Adoption Agencies and Adoption Professionals in San FranciscoAs a prospective birth parent or adoptive family, the professional you choose to work with will play an important role throughout your adoption journey. Your adoption agency or adoption attorney will help guide you through each step of the process and ensure you receive the services and support you need. If you live in San Francisco, consider the following local and regional adoption professionals:
Foster Care Professionals in San FranciscoFoster care programs, requirements and processes are determined by the state. In San Francisco, foster parents must meet all California foster care requirements, meet with a licensing worker and complete a home study. Some agencies have additional training or requirements for the parents they work with. Contact a local foster care agency for more information about the process to become a foster parent in the Bay area: state adoption page or the California Department of Social Services.
Home Study Providers in San FranciscoWhether you are interested in private infant adoption or foster care in San Francisco, you will be required to complete a home study that meets California requirements. Information about the California home study process and requirements is available here. It is important to work with a legally qualified home study provider. To get started on your adoption or foster care home study, contact one of these area home study professionals: Near San Francisco:
- The Family Network, Inc. 831-462-8954 The Family Network, Inc. is a nonprofit agency licensed to perform international and domestic home studies and other adoption-related services in California.
- Adoption Connection 415-359-2491 Adoption Connection provides home study services to families in1 9 California counties, including Santa Clara county.
- AAC-Alpha Adoption Centers 877-955-2122 Alpha Adoption Centers is a nonprofit adoption agency licensed by the state of California to provide domestic home studies and post-placement services for Orange, San Bernardino, Riverside, Los Angeles and San Diego county residents.
- Nightlight Christian Adoptions 714-693-5437 Nightlight’s California offices provide domestic, international and embryo adoption home study services for Southern California residents.
- Lilliput Children’s Services 800-325-5359 Lilliput is licensed to do adoption home studies for private domestic adoptions.
Hospitals in San FranciscoAs her due date approaches, it is up to the expectant mother to create a hospital plan for her stay. If you are pregnant and considering adoption for your baby, you will have the opportunity to make many decisions about the labor and delivery process, including who will be in the delivery room with you, who gets to hold the baby first, how much time you spend with the adoptive family, and more. When you are ready to start making your hospital plan, your adoption agency will communicate with your delivery hospital to ensure everything goes according to your wishes. As you consider your hospital plan, learn more about some hospitals in the area:
- California Pacific Women & Children’s Center 3698 California Street, First Floor San Francisco, CA 94118 415-600-BABY (2229)
- UCSF Betty Irene Moore Women’s Hospital 1855 4th Street San Francisco, CA 94158 415-353-3000
- Mills-Peninsula Family Birth Center 1501 Trousdale Drive, Suite 240 Burlingame, CA 94010 650-696-5545
- Alta Bates Summit Medical Center 2450 Ashby Avenue Berkley, CA 94705 510-204-4444
- Washington Hospital 2000 Mowry Avenue Fremont, CA 94538 510-791-3424
- San Ramon Regional Medical Center 6001 Norris Canyon Road San Ramon, CA 94583 925-275-9200
- El Camino Hospital 2500 Grant Road Mountain View, CA 94040 650-940-7000
- Sequoia Hospital 170 Alameda de las Pulgas Redwood City, CA 94062 650-369-5811
- ValleyCare Medical Center 5555 W. Las Positas Blvd. Pleasanton, CA 94588 925-847-3000
Adoption Laws and QualificationsAdoption is a legal process regulated by state laws. Below, find an overview of the statutes impacting adoptive parents and birth parents in San Francisco, and learn more about state adoption laws, qualifications and processes on our Adoption in California page. Laws for Birth Parents: Every adoption involves the legal termination of the birth mother’s and father’s parental rights. If you are considering placing your baby for adoption in San Francisco, get the information you need about birth father rights, executing consent and more here. Laws for Adoptive Parents: Throughout the adoption process, San Francisco families must adhere to California laws regulating adoption expenses, adoption finalization, advertising and more. These laws are outlined here. County Courts Every adoption must be finalized in court. If you are adopting in the San Francisco area, find your local courthouse and other information about finalizing adoption in your county below.
- Alameda County
- Contra Costa County
- Marin County
- Napa County
- San Francisco County
- San Mateo County
- Santa Clara County
- Solano County
- Sonoma County