Des Moines Adoption & Foster Care Resources
If you are a prospective birth mother or hopeful adoptive parent in Des Moines, you probably have questions about adopting or placing a baby for adoption in Iowa. There are many local adoption and foster care services and professionals to assist you with your adoption plans. Learn more about adoption in Des Moines below, and find additional information about adoption laws, processes and qualifications on our Adoption in Iowa page.
Des Moines Adoption Agencies and Adoption ProfessionalsTo begin the adoption process, many hopeful adoptive parents and pregnant women considering adoption first choose an adoption professional to help guide them through the process. You have many choices when selecting an adoption professional. If you are interested in working with an adoption agency or attorney near Des Moines, consider the following:
- Catholic Charities Diocese of Des Moines
- About a Child
- Graceful Adoptions
- Adoption Associates of Iowa
- Adoption Connection
How to Become a Foster Parent in Des MoinesBeing a foster parent or adopting from the foster system can be a rewarding way to grow your family. Prior to beginning the foster care or foster-to-adopt process in Des Moines, all prospective parents must meet certain Iowa state requirements. These requirements can be found on our Iowa adoption information page. If you are ready to become a foster parent or if you have additional questions, contact a foster care professional in the Des Moines area:
- Lutheran Services in Iowa
- Iowa Foster & Adoptive Parents Association
- Children & Families of Iowa
- Youth & Shelter Services
- Iowa Foster Care and Adoption
Home Study Providers in Des MoinesFor adoptive and foster parents, the home study is one of the most important parts of the process. The Iowa home study process includes criminal records checks, financial information, personal interviews and more. For more information about what to expect during the home study process, visit our How to Adopt in Iowa page. It is important to choose the right professional to complete your adoption home study and ensure it complies with all state laws and requirements. To get started, contact a licensed home study provider in your area:
- William Pearce Adoption Services 515-262-9047 William Pearce Adoption Services offers domestic and international home studies and post-placement services.
- Adoption Associates of Iowa 515-262-9047 Adoption Associates of Iowa provides adoption home studies throughout Iowa.
- Children & Families of Iowa 515-288-1981 Children & Families of Iowa provides domestic and international adoption home study services and is accredited by the Council on Accreditation to provide international home studies.
Hospitals in Des MoinesOne of the most emotional parts of the adoption process, both for birth parents and adoptive families, is the time spent in the hospital when the baby is born. It is entirely up to the birth mother to decide how she would like her hospital stay to go. If you are making an adoption plan for your baby, you will work with your adoption professional and your delivery hospital to ensure everything happens exactly as you want it to. When you are ready to begin creating your hospital plan, here are some Des Moines area hospitals that may be able to assist you:
- Iowa Methodist Medical Center 1200 Pleasant Street Des Moines, IA 50309 515-241-6212
- Iowa Lutheran Maternity Center 700 E. University Avenue Des, Moines, IA 515-263-5612
- Methodist West Maternity Center 1660 60th Street West Des Moines, IA 515-343-1000
- Mercy Women & Infants’ Center 1111 6th Avenue Des Moines, IA 50314 515-247-3121