Iowa City Adoption & Foster Care Resources
Whether you live in the Iowa City area or are planning to adopt a child from there, you may not know what adoption resources are available to you. Whatever stage you are at in your adoption journey, the following collection of information will help you adopt or place a child for adoption in Iowa City, Iowa. If you would like information on the adoption process and related laws, visit our Adoption in Iowa page.
Iowa City Adoption Agencies and ProfessionalsAdoption agencies can be beneficial for adoptive families and prospective birth parents because of the comprehensive services they provide. If you choose to work with an agency, your specialist will guide you through every step of the process. If you would like to begin your adoption with a local adoption agency, start with one of the following Iowa City adoption professionals: Cedar Rapids, Iowa.
How to Become a Foster Parent in Iowa CityTo be a foster parent in Iowa City, couples and individuals must meet the requirements of the state and their chosen agency. For prospective foster parents in Iowa, that means meeting the following requirements:
- Be at least 21 years old
- Attend training
- Complete the Iowa home study
Completing the Home Study in Iowa CityThe home study is a major milestone in every adoption and foster care process, and home study requirements are determined by the state. In Iowa, the process includes at least one face-to-face interview with each member of the adoptive household, at least one home visit, and records checks for each adult in the home. For more information about what to expect during the home study, visit our guide to Adoption in Iowa. When you are ready to begin the home study process, contact any of these legally qualified home study providers in your area:
- William Pearce Adoption Services 515-262-9047 William Pearce Adoption Services offers domestic and international home studies and post-placement services.
- Adoption Associates of Iowa 515-262-9047 Adoption Associates of Iowa provides adoption home studies throughout Iowa.
- Children & Families of Iowa 515-288-1981 Children & Families of Iowa provides domestic and international adoption home study services and is accredited by the Council on Accreditation to provide international home studies.
Hospitals in Iowa CityAs prospective birth mothers create an adoption plan, they should also prepare for their hospital stay. When the big day arrives, it is up to the birth mother to decide who she wants to be present with her, how much time she wants to spend with her baby, and how much she will interact with the adoptive family. Contact one of the following Iowa City hospitals for information as you begin thinking about your hospital plan:
- Mercy Iowa City 500 East Market Street Iowa City, IA 52245 319-339-0300
- University of Iowa Health Care 1130 Scott Boulevard Iowa City, IA 52242 319-467-6789