Lafayette Adoption & Foster Care Resources
Whether you are interested in adopting a child or placing a baby for adoption in the Lafayette area, there are many local resources available to you. This guide provides information about Lafayette adoption agencies, home study professionals and other adoption and foster care services in the area. Additional resources for expectant mothers and adoptive parents throughout the state can be found on our Louisiana adoption page.
Lafayette Adoption Agencies and Adoption ProfessionalsWhen you are ready to begin the adoption process, you will likely need to work with an adoption professional to receive the services and support you need to complete the adoption. Some adoptive families and birth parents prefer to work with a local or regional adoption agency. The following adoption agencies have locations in Lafayette and can ensure that you meet all Louisiana requirements as you move through the adoption process:
Become a Foster Parent in LafayetteIf you live in Lafayette, Louisiana, and are interested in fostering a child, you will need to meet certain state requirements for foster parents and complete the home study process. Information about foster parent eligibility, as well as Louisiana home study requirements, is included in our state adoption information. For more information about foster care and foster-to-adopt placements in Lafayette and throughout the rest of the state, visit the Louisiana Department of Children and Family Services. The following local agencies and resources can also provide additional information about becoming a foster parent in Lafayette:
- Office of Child Welfare – Lafayette Parish
- Louisiana Heart Gallery
- Immaculate Heart of Mary’s Church
Completing the Home Study in LafayetteThe home study is a major milestone in every adoption and foster care process, and home study requirements are determined by the state. In Louisiana, the process includes at two visits in the home and a third visit in the home or office, plus in-person interviews with each member of the household and any adult children who do not live in the home. For more information about what to expect during the home study, visit our guide to Adoption in Louisiana. When you are ready to begin the home study process, contact any of these legally qualified home study providers in your area:
- Beacon House Adoption Services 888-987-6300 Beacon House Adoption Services is a licensed 501c3 nonprofit adoption agency that offers domestic adoption home study services.
- Adoption Home Studies, Inc. 985-264-8982 Mary Marrs is a licensed clinical social worker in the state of Louisiana offering adoption home studies and post-placement services.
- Open Arms Adoption Services 318-798-7664 Open Arms Adoption Services offers domestic and international adoption home studies, home study updates and post-placement supervision.
Hospitals in LafayetteIf you choose adoption for your baby, it will be up to you to plan your hospital stay. Your hospital plan will include your preferences for who is in the delivery room with you, how much you will interact with your baby and the adoptive family, and more. The delivery hospital will be aware of your hospital plan ahead of time to ensure a smooth labor and delivery process. When you are ready to make your hospital plan, here are some local Lafayette hospitals you may be working with:
- Lafayette General Medical Center 1214 Coolidge Street Lafayette, LA 70503 337-289-7991
- Women’s and Children’s Hospital 4600 Ambassador Caffery Pkwy Lafayette, LA 70508 337-521-9100