Home » Adoptions by State » How to Adopt in North Carolina » Durham Adoption & Foster Care Resources
Durham Adoption & Foster Care Resources
Adoption is a long and intricate process involving many steps, and each step of the process raises new questions for both hopeful families and prospective birth parents. If you are considering adoption, looking for adoption professionals in the Durham area, or simply trying to find information, the following list of resources can help you find what you need.
Adoption Agencies and Professionals in DurhamAdoptive families and pregnant mothers alike can benefit from working with an adoption agency. Unlike other types of adoption professionals, agencies are equipped to provide you with comprehensive adoption services. If you are looking for an adoption agency or interested in learning more, follow the links below to find information on adoption agencies in Durham or serving Durham County:
Durham Foster Care ProfessionalsLike adoptive parents, foster parents must meet the requirements of their state before they can care for a child. If you want to become a foster parent in North Carolina, you must fit the following criteria:
- Be at least 21 years of age
- Complete a home study and background check
- Complete required training
- Become licensed to foster in North Carolina
Home Study ProvidersIf you are hoping to adopt or become a foster family, you must complete a home study before you can be considered. In the home study, a social worker will conduct a background check, a home inspection, and a series of interviews to determine if your home is safe and ready for a child. If you are ready to begin your home study, read on to find a licensed home study provider near you. Near Durham:
- Nathanson Adoption Services 919-844-5212 Nathanson Adoption Services provides home study information and services, along with other adoption-related information, to North Carolina families.
- Carolina Adoption Services 336-275-9660 Located in Greensboro, Carolina Adoption Services is licensed to provide services to families in North and South Carolina.
- NC Homestudies 704-258-4029 NCHS is licensed to complete home studies for families across North Carolina, and they also provide counseling and education to hopeful adoptive families.
Hospitals near DurhamFor women considering adoption, the most anticipated event of the process is the hospital trip. If you are creating an adoption plan, you will also want to begin considering your hospital plan as you approach your due date. By working with your adoption specialist and healthcare provider, you can make sure you are in control of your labor and delivery experience. Below, you can find the contact information for hospitals near you:
- Duke Regional Hospital 3643 North Roxboro Road Durham, NC 27704
- UNC Hospitals OB/GYN Clinic (N.C. Women’s Hospital) 101 Manning Drive Chapel Hill, NC 27514
- Duke University Hospital 2301 Erwin Road Durham, NC 27710 919-681-5741