Akron Adoption & Foster Care Resources
As a prospective adoptive or birth parent in Akron, you likely have many questions about how to adopt or place a baby for adoption in Ohio. Fortunately, there are many local resources and professionals available to assist you through the adoption process. Below, learn more about these professionals and find answers to common questions about adoption in Akron.
Akron Adoption Professionals and Adoption AgenciesOne of the first steps for birth mothers and adoptive parents in the adoption process is to choose an adoption professional. You will work with your adoption professional to get the services and support you need through every step of the adoption process. The following Akron adoption agencies have experience completing local adoptions and can help you reach your adoption goals:
Become a Foster Parent in AkronProspective foster and foster-adoptive parents in Ohio must meet certain eligibility requirements and attend training, complete the home study and submit background checks. More information about becoming a foster parent in Ohio is available through the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services. The following local agencies and resources can also provide additional information about becoming a foster parent in Akron:
Home Study Providers in AkronFor adoptive parents, the home study is one of the most important parts of every adoption and foster care process. The Ohio home study includes the following elements:
- Documentation of marital status
- Financial statements
- Background checks
- Personal interviews
- Medical statements
- Character references
- Home safety inspection
- Water testing
- Adoption by Gentle Care 800-824-9633 Adoption by Gentle Care is a state licensed, nonprofit, full service adoption agency whose accredited adoption assessors offer domestic adoption home studies throughout Ohio.
- Building Blocks Adoption Service, Inc. 866-321-2367 Building Blocks Adoptions is an Ohio-licensed Christian adoption agency that offers services through its domestic, embryo and international adoption programs.
- Adoption Circle 800-927-7222 Adoption Circle is a state licensed, full-service, nonprofit adoption agency that provides home study and other services to adoptive families and birth parents in Ohio.
Hospitals in AkronOne of the most emotional parts of the adoption process, both for birth parents and adoptive families, is the time spent in the hospital when the baby is born. It is entirely up to the birth mother to decide how she would like her hospital stay to go. If you are making an adoption plan for your baby, you will work with your adoption professional and your delivery hospital to ensure everything happens exactly as you want it to. When you are ready to begin creating your hospital plan, here are some Akron area hospitals that may be able to assist you:
- Summa Akron City Hospital 525 East Market Street Akron, OH 44309 234-312-5194
- Summa Barberton Hospital 155 Fifth Street, NE Barberton, OH 44203 330-615-3350
- Akron General Hospital 1 Akron General Avenue Akron, OH 44307 330-344-2229
- Maternal Fetal Medicine Center 215 W. Bowery Street, Suite 5500 Akron, OH 44308 330-543-4500