Cleveland Adoption & Foster Care Resources
Whether you are interested in adopting or are considering an adoption plan for your baby in the Cleveland area, there are many local adoption and foster care resources available to you. The following provides information about Cleveland adoption agencies, home study providers and other useful services in and around Cleveland, Ohio.
Cleveland Adoption Professionals and Adoption AgenciesMost prospective birth parents and hopeful adoptive families work with an adoption professional to receive the services and support they need throughout the adoption process. Some adoptive and birth parents prefer to work with a local or regional adoption agency. The following adoption professionals are based in Cleveland and can ensure that you meet all Ohio requirements as you move through the adoption process:
- Adoption Network Cleveland
- Catholic Charities Diocese of Cleveland
- Adoption Circle
- Caring for Kids, Inc.
Become a Foster Parent in ClevelandIf you are interested in fostering a child in or near Cleveland, you will need to meet all Ohio requirements for foster parents and complete the home study process. The requirements to become a foster parent in Ohio include:
- Be at least 21 years old
- Participate in a training and assessment process
- Complete the home study process, including criminal background and child abuse registry checks, as well as medical statements and a home safety audit
- Northeast Ohio Adoption Services
- Applewood Centers Inc.
- Bellefaire JCB
- Cuyahoga County Children & Family Services
Completing the Home Study in ClevelandThe home study is an important step in every foster care and adoption journey. The Ohio home study process includes personal interviews with all members of the household (as age appropriate), criminal records and child abuse registry checks, a safety inspection of the home, and collection of important documents. For more information about home study requirements in Ohio, visit our state adoption page. When you are ready to begin the home study process, contact any of these legally qualified home study providers in the Cleveland area: Near Cleveland:
- Building Blocks Adoption Service, Inc. 866-321-2367 Building Blocks Adoptions is an Ohio-licensed Christian adoption agency that offers services through its domestic, embryo and international adoption programs.
- Adoption by Gentle Care 800-824-9633 Adoption by Gentle Care is a state licensed, nonprofit, full service adoption agency whose accredited adoption assessors offer domestic adoption home studies throughout Ohio.
- Adoption Circle 800-927-7222 Adoption Circle is a state licensed, full-service, nonprofit adoption agency that provides home study and other services to adoptive families and birth parents in Ohio.
- Adoption STAR 513-631-3900 Adoption STAR will conduct home studies for prospective clients in Ohio as well as New York and Florida.
Hospitals in ClevelandIf you are an expectant mother and you choose adoption for your baby, you will have control over your hospital stay when it is time to deliver. You will create a hospital plan, including your preferences for who is in the delivery room with you, how much interaction you will have with the adoptive family, and more. Your adoption professional will inform the hospital of your plan ahead of time to ensure a smooth labor and delivery process. When you are ready to make your hospital plan, here are some local Cleveland hospitals that you may be able to work with:
- Fairview Hospital 18101 Lorain Avenue Cleveland, OH 44111 216-476-7000
- Hillcrest Hospital 6780 Mayfield Rd. Mayfield Heights, OH 44124 440-312-4500
- Lakewood Hospital 14519 Detroit Avenue Lakewood, OH 44107 216-521-4200
- Medina Hospital 1000 E. Washington Street Medina, OH 44256 330-725-1000
- UH MacDonald Women’s Hospital 2101 Adelbert Road Cleveland, OH 44106 216-844-3941
- Southwest General Hospital 18697 Bagley Road Middleburg Heights, OH 44130 440-816-8000