Erie Adoption & Foster Care Resources
Whether you live in the Erie area or are planning to adopt a child from there, you may not know what adoption resources are available to you. Whatever stage you are at in your adoption journey, the following collection of information will help you adopt or place a child for adoption in Erie, Pennsylvania. If you would like information on the adoption process and related laws, visit our Adoption in Pennsylvania page.
Erie Adoption Agencies and ProfessionalsAdoption agencies can be beneficial for adoptive families and prospective birth parents because of the comprehensive services they provide. If you choose to work with an agency, your specialist will guide you through every step of the process. If you would like to begin your adoption, start with one of the following Erie professionals:
- American Adoptions
- Adoption by Choice
- Catholic Charities Erie Office
- Law Offices of Carney & Good
- Absolute Love Adoptions
How to Become a Foster Parent in ErieTo be a foster parent in Erie, couples and individuals must meet the requirements of the state and their chosen agency. For prospective foster parents in Pennsylvania, that means meeting the following requirements:
- Be at least 21 years of age
- Pass a physical and background check
- Complete a home study
- Attend mandatory training
- Provide references
- Erie County Department of Social Services
- Families United Network, Inc.
- Pennsylvania Statewide Adoption & Permanency Network
Completing the Home Study in ErieThe home study is a major milestone in every adoption and foster care process, and home study requirements are determined by the state. In Pennsylvania, the process includes at least one visit to the home and interviews with all members of the household. For more information about what to expect during the home study, visit our guide to Adoption in Pennsylvania. When you are ready to begin the home study process, contact any of these legally qualified home study providers in your area: Near Erie:
- Absolute Love Adoptions, Inc. 814-440-6897 Absolute Love Adoptions, Inc. will work with you on your Pennsylvania-compliant home study and, if you need it, offer you referrals to agencies in the state.
- Family Services of NW PA 1-800- 634-2560 Family Services of NW PA has been working for Pennsylvania families since 1882, and they provide a wide array of adoption, counseling, and education services to families.
- Love And Hope Adoption Services 610-340-4973 Contact Love and Hope Adoption Services to complete your state-compliant adoption regardless of where in Pennsylvania you live.
- Caring Adoption Associates, LLC 484-494-0235 Specializing in home studies and post-placement assessments, the social workers at Caring Adoption Associates will work with you and your adoption professional to meet all your requirements.
- Adoption Related Services, Inc. 717-227-9560 Located in Shrewsbury, this agency offers home studies for families adopting internationally and domestically. If you are pursuing international adoption, they also offer other services.
Hospitals in ErieAs prospective birth mothers create an adoption plan, they should also prepare for their hospital stay. When the big day arrives, it is up to the birth mother to decide who she wants to be present with her, how much time she wants to spend with her baby, and how much she will interact with the adoptive family. Contact one of the following locations for information as you begin thinking about your hospital plan:
- Saint Vincent Hospital 232 West 25 Street Erie, PA 16544 814-452-5000
- UPMC Hamot 201 State Street Erie, PA 16550 814-877-6000