Home » Adoptions by State » How to Adopt in Pennsylvania » Pittsburgh Adoption & Foster Care Resources
Pittsburgh Adoption & Foster Care Resources
Families hoping to adopt or pregnant women considering adoption may be unsure of what resources are available to them in the Pittsburgh area. Here, you can find everything you need to know to complete your Pittsburgh adoption from start to finish. Read on to find information about Pittsburgh adoption and foster care professionals, home study providers, hospitals, and more.
Pittsburgh Adoption Agencies and ProfessionalsAdoption agencies are full-service professionals who can help birth parents and adoptive families with matching, counseling, home studies, and any other adoption-related needs. Not everyone chooses to work with an adoption agency, and you have the option of completing an independent adoption; keep in mind, however, that you must have an attorney to complete your adoption. Here are just a few of the adoption agencies and other adoption professionals in the Pittsburgh area:
- The Children’s Home of Pittsburgh & Lemieux Family Center
- Genesis of Pittsburgh
- Adoptions from the Heart
- Pittsburgh Divorce & Family Law
Foster Care Professionals in PittsburghIf you are hoping to adopt an older child, you may want to adopt through the foster care system. In order to become a foster parent in Pittsburgh, you must meet the following requirements:
- Attend up to 24 hours of training
- Complete all required background checks
- Provide a current physical and references
- Complete a home study and inspection
Home Study ProvidersThe home study is one of the most important steps of the adoption process for hopeful parents, as it indicates that you are officially cleared to adopt a child. In order to complete your home study, you must contact a state-licensed social worker, who will conduct some form of background check, a home inspection, and an interview of you and your family. If you would like to begin the home study process, or if you have any questions, you can reach out to one of the following Pennsylvania-licensed professionals: Near Pittsburgh:
- MAYA Organization 412-945-7670 MAYA Organization promises to provide a quick accurate home study for Pennsylvania families hoping to adopt.
- Families United Network 570-546-6777 Families United Network has locations throughout Pennsylvania and can help you complete a domestic or international home study.
- Caring Adoption Associates 484-494-0235 With an office in Pittsburgh, Caring Adoption Associates is licensed to help Pittsburgh and all Pennsylvania families with domestic or international adoption home studies.
- La Vida International 610-688-8008 La Vida offers its home study services to families living in Pennsylvania. If you are not from Pennsylvania, they will help you find a provider who is licensed in your state.
- Haven Adoptions 800-716-8220 On their website, Haven Adoptions provides information on everything you need to complete a home study with their agency.
Hospitals in PittsburghAs a pregnant woman considering adoption, it’s never too early to begin planning for the day you have the baby. Before your due date arrives, you will work with your adoption specialist and healthcare provider to prepare for the big day and determine who you would like to be present with you, as well as how much time you would like with your baby. For more information on nearby hospitals, contact one of the following Pittsburgh locations:
- St. Clair Hospital 1000 Bower Hill Road Pittsburgh, PA 15243 412-942-4000
- Magee-Womens Hospital of UPMC 300 Halket Street Pittsburgh, PA 15213 1-866-696-2433
- West Penn Hospital 4800 Friendship Avenue Pittsburgh, PA 15224 412-578-5000