Home » Adoptions by State » How to Adopt in South Carolina » Charleston Adoption & Foster Care Resources
Charleston Adoption & Foster Care Resources
Whether you are interested in adopting a child or are considering placing your baby for adoption in Charleston, South Carolina, you may have a number of questions about how to start the adoption process. The following provides information about local adoption agencies, home study providers and other adoption and foster care services in Charleston. Additional resources for expectant mothers and adoptive parents throughout the state can be found on our adoption in South Carolina page.
Charleston Adoption Agencies and Adoption ProfessionalsWhether you are ready to begin the adoption process or are simply looking for more adoption information, local adoption professionals can be great resources for the services and support you need. The following adoption agencies and attorneys are located in Charleston and can help you with every step of the South Carolina adoption process:
- The Law Offices of James Fletcher Thompson, LLC
- Lifeline Children’s Services
- The Law Office of Stephen L. Fowler
- R Glenn Lister, Jr. Attorney at Law
- Lowndes & Barrett, LLC
Become a Foster Parent in CharlestonParents looking to adopt an older child or provide temporary care may want to look into foster care options in Charleston. To be a foster parent in Charleston, you will need to meet all state requirements for foster parents and complete the home study process. For information about foster care and foster adoption in Charleston and throughout the rest of the state, visit our South Carolina adoption page. You may also learn more about the process by contacting a local foster care professional:
- The Bair Foundation
- Neighbor to Family, Inc.
- Specialized Alternatives for Families and Youth
- South Carolina Department of Social Services
Completing the Home Study in CharlestonThe home study is the process in which a social worker reviews your home and family to ensure you are ready to adopt or foster a child. This process consists of background checks, a home inspection, interviews and documentation. Information about home study laws and requirements in South Carolina is included with our South Carolina adoption information. When you are ready to begin the home study process, contact one of the following South Carolina-licensed professionals:
- Adoption Matters, Inc. (SC) 843-480-2111 Adoption Matters, Inc. is a nonprofit child placing agency licensed in North Carolina and South Carolina. The agency offers home studies and post-placement supervision in addition to options counseling, stepparent adoptions and supportive counseling for all members of the adoption triad.
- Carolina Adoption Services 800-632-9312 Carolina Adoption Services (CAS) is licensed to provide adoption home study services in North Carolina, South Carolina and Virginia.
Hospitals in CharlestonIf you are facing an unplanned pregnancy, a crucial part of your adoption plan will be preparation for your hospital stay. If you are pursuing adoption for your child, you can work with your adoption specialist and healthcare provider to plan the kind of delivery experience you want. When you are ready to make your hospital plan, here are some nearby hospitals in Charleston that you may be working with:
- Bon Secours St. Francis Hospital 2095 Henry Tecklenburg Drive Charleston, SC 29414 843-402-1000
- MUSC Women’s Care 135 Cannon Street Charleston, SC 29425 843-792-5300
- East Cooper Medical Center 2000 Hospital Drive Pleasant, SC 29464 843-881-0100