Home » Adoptions by State » How to Adopt in South Carolina » Columbia Adoption & Foster Care Resources
Columbia Adoption & Foster Care Resources
As a prospective adoptive or birth parent in Columbia, you are likely looking for answers to your questions about adopting or placing a baby for adoption in South Carolina. Fortunately, there are many adoption and foster care resources and professionals in your area who can give you this information. Learn more about adoption in Columbia below, and find additional information about adoption laws, processes and qualifications on our Adoption in South Carolina page.
Columbia Adoption Agencies and Adoption ProfessionalsTo begin the adoption process, many hopeful adoptive parents and pregnant women considering adoption first choose an adoption professional to help guide them through the process. You have many choices when selecting an adoption professional. If you are interested in working with an adoption agency or attorney near Columbia, consider the following:
- The Law Offices of James Fletcher Thompson, LLC
- Christian Family Services
- South Carolina Department of Social Services Region II
- The Bair Foundation
How to Become a Foster Parent in ColumbiaBeing a foster parent or adopting from the foster system can be a rewarding experience. Prior to beginning the foster care or foster-to-adopt process in Columbia, all prospective parents must meet certain South Carolina requirements for foster parents. If you are ready to become a foster parent or if you have additional questions, contact a foster care professional in the Columbia area:
- South Carolina Youth Advocate Program
- South Carolina Mentor
- South Carolina Foster Parent Association
Home Study Providers in ColumbiaFor adoptive and foster parents, it is one of the most important parts of the process: the home study. The South Carolina home study process includes criminal records checks, personal interviews and more. For more information about what to expect during the home study process, visit our How to Adopt in South Carolina page. It is important to choose the right professional to complete your adoption home study and ensure it complies with all state laws and requirements. To get started, contact a licensed home study provider in your area:
- Adoption Matters, Inc. (SC) 843-480-2111 Adoption Matters, Inc. is a nonprofit child placing agency licensed in North Carolina and South Carolina. The agency offers home studies and post-placement supervision in addition to options counseling, stepparent adoptions and supportive counseling for all members of the adoption triad.
- Carolina Adoption Services 800-632-9312 Carolina Adoption Services (CAS) is licensed to provide adoption home study services in North Carolina, South Carolina and Virginia.
Hospitals in ColumbiaFor birth parents and adoptive families alike, the baby’s birth is one of the most emotional parts of the adoption process. If you are making an adoption plan for your baby as a prospective birth mother, it will be entirely up to you to decide how you want this experience to go. You will work with your adoption professional and your delivery hospital to create a hospital plan. When you are ready to take this step, here are some Columbia hospitals that may be able to assist you:
- Birthplace at Palmetto Health Baptist Taylor at Marion Street Columbia, SC 29220 803-296-5010
- Birthplace at Baptist Parkridge 400 Palmetto Health Parkway Columbia, SC 29212 803-907-7000
- Birthplace at Palmetto Health Richland 5 Richland Medical Park Drive Columbia, SC 29203 803-434-7000
- Lexington Medical Center Birth Center 2720 Sunset Boulevard West Columbia, SC 29169 803-791-BABY