Norfolk Adoption & Foster Care Resources
As a prospective adoptive or birth parent in Norfolk, you likely have many questions about how to adopt or place a baby for adoption in Virginia. Fortunately, there are plenty of local adoption professionals available to assist you through the adoption process and answer any questions you might have about adoption in Norfolk. Visit our How to Adopt in Virginia page to learn more about adoption throughout the state.
Norfolk Adoption Agencies and Adoption ProfessionalsOne of the first steps in the adoption process is to choose an adoption professional. Adoption professionals, such as agencies or attorneys, work with expectant mothers and adoptive parents to complete the adoption from start to finish. Some prospective birth parents and adoptive families prefer to work with local agencies. The following adoption professionals are located in the Hampton Roads metro area and have experience completing local adoptions:
- Adoptions from the Heart
- Catholic Charities of Eastern Virginia
- Graceful Adoptions
- Jewish Family Service of Tidewater
How to Become a Foster Parent in NorfolkTo become a foster parent or adopt a foster child in Norfolk, you must meet certain state requirements. In addition to completing a home study, prospective foster parents must attend an orientation meeting and complete training. More information about becoming a foster parent in Virginia is available on our state page, through your local department of social services or through the following foster agencies and resources: Virginia Beach and throughout the rest of the state.
Home Study Providers in NorfolkWhether you’re growing your family through private adoption or foster care, the home study is one of the most important parts of the process for prospective parents. The Virginia home study includes a series of interviews, home visits, criminal records checks and more. It is important to choose the right professional to complete your adoption home study and ensure it complies with all state laws and requirements. To get started, contact a licensed home study provider in your area: Near Norfolk:
- Adoptions from the Heart 1-888-630-8842 Adoptions from the Heart provides home study services to families seeking private domestic adoption and international adoption.
- Catholic Charities of Eastern Virginia 757-456-2366 Catholic Charities of Eastern Virginia provides adoption services to birth parents and adoptive families, including home study services.
- Loving Families 703-370-7140 Adoption Home Studies by Loving Families, Inc., is a small child-placing agency that will work with your placing agency to complete your home study within five to six weeks.
- Cradle of Hope Adoption Center 703-352-4806 Cradle of Hope Adoption Center is a licensed, nonprofit, Hague-accredited adoption agency providing home study, placement and post-placement adoption services to families adopting domestically and internationally.
Hospitals in NorfolkOne of the most emotional parts of the adoption process, both for birth parents and adoptive families, is the time spent in the hospital when the baby is born. It is entirely up to the birth mother to decide how she would like her hospital stay to go. If you are making an adoption plan for your baby, you will work with your adoption professional and your delivery hospital to ensure everything happens exactly as you want it to. When you are ready to begin creating your hospital plan, here are some Norfolk area hospitals that may be able to assist you:
- Sentara Norfolk General Hospital 600 Gresham Drive Norfolk, VA 23507 757-388-3000
- Sentara Leigh Hospital 830 Kempsville Road Norfolk, VA 23502 757-261-6700
- The DePaul Center for Birth 150 Kinglsey Lane Norfolk, VA 23505 757-889-BABY
- The Midwifery Center at DePaul 100 Kinglsey Lane, Suite 400 Norfolk, VA 23505 757-451-0929