Chicago Adoption & Foster Care Resources
If you live in Chicago and are considering adoption, either as an expectant mother or prospective adoptive parents, you are likely wondering the same thing: who can help me with adoption in my area? The following guide provides all the Chicago adoption information you need, from finding a professional to finalizing your adoption. To learn even more about the adoption process, you can visit out Illinois adoption page.
Adoption Agencies and Professionals in ChicagoProspective birth parents and hopeful adoptive families should work closely with an adoption professional throughout the process. This professional will provide education, counseling and the adoption services you need to complete your adoption. When choosing an adoption agency, some people prefer to work with an adoption professional in their area. The following adoption professionals are based in the Chicago area and have experience completing local adoptions:
- Bethany Christian Services
- Catholic Charities
- Children’s Home + Aid
- The Cradle
- Genie Miller Gillespie, Attorney at Law
Chicago Foster Care ResourcesIf you live in Chicago, Illinois, and are interested in fostering a child, you will need to meet certain state requirements for foster parents and complete the home study process. Information about foster parent eligibility, as well as Illinois home study requirements, is included in our state adoption information. The following local agencies and resources can also provide additional information about becoming a foster parent in Chicago:
Home Study ProvidersThe home study is a major milestone in every adoption and foster care process, and home study requirements are determined by the state. In Illinois, the process includes at least one visit to the home and interviews with all members of the household. For more information about what to expect during the home study, visit our guide to Adoption in Illinois. When you are ready to begin the home study process, contact any of these legally qualified home study providers in your area: Near Chicago:
- Adoption Center of Illinois 1-800-966-5877 You don’t have to be adopting through the Adoption Center of Illinois to use their home study services. They complete home studies for independent, agency, and international adoptions.
- Unity Parenting & Counseling, Inc. 312-455-0007 Established in 1993, Unity Parenting & Counseling has extensive experience providing support and home study services to Chicago and Illinois families.
- Kmetko & Associates, LTD. 773-561-6196 In addition to providing ICPC information and adoption consultation, Kmetko & Associates can also help you complete your Chicago home study.
- Holt-Sunny Ridge 630-754-4500 Holt-Sunny Ridge offers home studies and other postplacement services for domestic, international, and embryo adoptions in Illinois.
Hospitals near ChicagoIf you are a pregnant mother considering adoption, you will eventually need to create a hospital plan. Your adoption specialist and healthcare provider can assist you with this part of your adoption plan. When arranging for your hospital stay, you should consider where and how you want to give birth and who you want to be there with you. As you think about your hospital trip, you can find more information about hospitals near you:
- University of Illinois Hospital 1740 West Taylor Street Chicago, IL 60612 866-600-CARE
- Saint Anthony Hospital 2875 West 19th Street Chicago, IL 60623 1-773-484-1000
- The University of Chicago Medicine 5841 South Maryland Avenue Chicago, IL 60637 773-702-1000
- Prentice Women’s Hospital 250 East Superior Street Chicago, IL 60611 312-926-2000
- Northwest Community Healthcare 800 West Central Road Arlington Heights, IL 60005 847-618-1000
- Swedish Covenant Hospital 5145 North California Avenue Chicago, IL 60625 773-878-8200
- Rush University Medical Center 1653 West Congress Parkway Chicago, IL 60612 888-352-7874