Rockford Adoption & Foster Care Resources
As one of the largest cities in Illinois, Rockford has a lot to offer – including adoption services for hopeful families and expecting mothers. If you are looking to adopt or place a baby in Rockford, this page will provide you with information on local adoption agencies, foster care professionals, home study providers, and anything else you may need. For more information on the adoption process in your area, see our Illinois adoption information.
Adoption Agencies and Professionals in RockfordProspective birth parents and hopeful adoptive families should work closely with an adoption professional throughout the process. This professional will provide education, counseling and the adoption services you need to complete your adoption. If you would prefer to work with a local or regional agency, consider the following Rockford adoption professionals:
Rockford Foster Care ResourcesFoster care programs, requirements and processes vary depending on state laws. In Illinois, the requirements for foster parents include:
- Pass a criminal and fingerprint-based background check
- Pass a home inspection
- Submit a physical and other medical information
- Attend 27 hours of training
- Our Children’s Homestead
- Illinois Department of Children & Family Services
- Youth Service Bureau of Illinois Valley
Home Study ProvidersAll prospective adoptive families must complete a home study. It is recommended that you begin the process as soon as possible, as it can take up to a few months and you must complete it before you can move forward in your adoption. For your home study, you will need to contact a licensed social worker to conduct a background check, a home inspection, and interviews with you and your family. To begin the process or inquire further, contact one of the following Illinois-licensed home study providers:
- Adoption Center of Illinois 1-800-676-2229 The Adoption Center of Illinois provides Illinois-compliant home studies to families working with them or any other agency.
- ABC Counseling and Family Services 309-451-9495 ext. 108 A licensed, not-for-profit agency, ABC Counseling and Family services offers home study services as well as counseling for adoptive parents anywhere in the state.
- Mary’s Services 847-870-8181 With over 100 years of experience, St. Mary’s has helped countless couples complete their home studies and post-placement assessments.
Hospitals near RockfordAs the baby’s due date draws closer, it is up to the expectant mother to create a hospital plan for her stay. If you are making an adoption plan for your baby, this will be your opportunity to decide who is in the delivery room with you, how much time you will spend with your baby and the adoptive family, and more. When you are ready to begin planning your hospital stay, your adoption agency will work with the delivery hospital to make them aware of your wishes. Here are some Rockford locations that you may be able to work with:
- Mercy Health 2400 North Rockton Avenue Rockford, IL 61103 815-971-5000
- OSF Saint Anthony Medical Center 5666 East State Street Rockford, Illinois 61108 815-226-2000
- Swedish American 1401 East State Street Rockford, IL 61104 779-696-4400