Peoria Adoption & Foster Care Resources
If you are considering adoption as a hopeful family or expectant mother, you may be wondering what local resources are available to you. Whether you are hoping to adopt or considering adoption for your unborn baby, you can find adoption agencies, hospitals, and anything else you need in Peoria, Illinois. The following page will provide you with adoption resources in Peoria. For information on laws and processes, you can visit our Illinois adoption page.
Adoption Agencies and Professionals in PeoriaTo begin the adoption process, many hopeful adoptive parents and pregnant women considering adoption first choose an adoption professional to help guide them through the process. You have many choices when selecting an adoption professional. If you are interested in working with an adoption agency or attorney near Peoria, consider the following:
Peoria Foster Care ResourcesLike adoptive parents, foster parents must meet the requirements of their state before they can care for a child. If you want to become a foster parent in Illinois, you must fit the following criteria:
- Pass a criminal and fingerprint-based background check
- Pass a home inspection
- Submit a physical and other medical information
- Attend 27 hours of training
- Illinois Department of Children & Family Services
- Children’s Home + Aid
- The Center for Youth & Family Services
Home Study ProvidersFor prospective parents, the home study is one of the most important parts of every adoption and foster care process. Consisting of interviews, background checks, home visits and a written report, the Illinois home study helps ensure that your home is fit for a child. It is important to choose the right professional to complete your adoption home study and ensure it complies with all state laws and requirements. To get started, contact a home study provider in your state:
- Adoption Center of Illinois 1-800-966-5877 The Adoption Center of Illinois provides Illinois-compliant home studies to families working with them or any other agency.
- ABC Counseling and Family Services 309-451-9495 ext. 108 A licensed, not-for-profit agency, ABC Counseling and Family services offers home study services as well as counseling for adoptive parents anywhere in the state.
- Mary’s Services 847-870-8181 With over 100 years of experience, St. Mary’s has helped countless couples complete their home studies and post-placement assessments.
Hospitals near PeoriaAs the baby’s due date draws closer, it is up to the expectant mother to create a hospital plan for her stay. If you are making an adoption plan for your baby, this will be your opportunity to decide who is in the delivery room with you, how much time you will spend with your baby and the adoptive family, and more. When you are ready to begin planning your hospital stay, your adoption agency will work with the delivery hospital to make them aware of your wishes. Here are some local Peoria hospitals that you may be able to work with:
- UnityPoint Health - Proctor 221 NE Glen Oak Avenue Peoria, IL 61636 309-672-4848
- OSF Saint Francis Medical Center 530 NE Glen Oak Avenue Peoria, Illinois 61603 309-655-2000